Nebraska Revised Statute 54-311
Wells and pitfalls; prohibited acts.
It shall be unlawful for the owner or holder of any real estate in the State of Nebraska to leave uncovered any well or other pitfall into which any person or animal may fall or receive injury. Every pitfall shall be filled, adequately covered, or enclosed so as not to constitute a safety hazard. Every well not in use shall be decommissioned or properly placed in inactive status in accordance with the Water Well Standards and Contractors' Practice Act so as not to constitute a safety hazard.
- Abandoned water wells:
- Duty of licensed water well contractor to plug, see section 46-1234.
- Duty of owner to decommission and notify Department of Natural Resources, see section 46-602.
- Penalty for failure to decommission, see section 46-1240.
- Standards for decommissioning, see section 46-1227.
- Water Well Standards and Contractors' Practice Act, see section 46-1201.