Nebraska Revised Statute 19-1826
As used in the Civil Service Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Commission shall mean a civil service commission created pursuant to the Civil Service Act, and commissioner shall mean a member of such commission;
(2) Appointing authority shall mean: (a) In a mayor and council form of government, the mayor with the approval of the council, except to the extent that the appointing authority is otherwise designated by ordinance to be the mayor or city administrator; (b) in a commission form of government, the mayor and city council or village board; (c) in a village form of government, the village board; and (d) in a city manager plan of government, the city manager;
(3) Appointment shall mean all means of selecting, appointing, or employing any person to hold any position or employment subject to civil service;
(4) Municipality shall mean all cities and villages specified in subsection (1) of section 19-1827 having full-time police officers or full-time firefighters;
(5) Governing body shall mean: (a) In a mayor and council form of government, the mayor and council; (b) in a commission form of government, the mayor and council or village board; (c) in a village form of government, the village board; and (d) in a city manager plan of government, the mayor and council;
(6) Full-time police officers shall mean police officers in positions which require certification by the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center, created pursuant to section 81-1402, who have the power of arrest, who are paid regularly by a municipality, and for whom law enforcement is a full-time career, but shall not include clerical, custodial, or maintenance personnel;
(7) Full-time firefighter shall mean duly appointed firefighters who are paid regularly by a municipality and for whom firefighting is a full-time career, but shall not include clerical, custodial, or maintenance personnel who are not engaged in fire suppression;
(8) Promotion or demotion shall mean changing from one position to another, accompanied by a corresponding change in current rate of pay;
(9) Position shall mean an individual job which is designated by an official title indicative of the nature of the work;
(10) Merged commission shall mean a civil service commission resulting from the merger of two or more commissions pursuant to section 19-1848;
(11) Agreement shall mean an agreement pursuant to the Interlocal Cooperation Act; and
(12) Existing commission shall mean a civil service commission of a city of the first class as it existed immediately prior to the effective creation of a merged commission.
- Laws 1943, c. 29, § 23, p. 138;
- R.S.1943, § 19-1823;
- Laws 1957, c. 48, § 7, p. 236;
- R.S.1943, (1983), § 19-1823;
- Laws 1985, LB 372, § 5;
- Laws 2010, LB943, § 2.
- Interlocal Cooperation Act, see section 13-801.
Fully paid fire department means a fire department having members paid regularly by city and devoting their whole time to firefighting. State ex rel. Retchless v. Cook, 181 Neb. 863, 152 N.W.2d 23 (1967).
By definition contained in this section, employee is required to devote his whole time to firefighting or law enforcement. Dlouhy v. City of Fremont, 175 Neb. 115, 120 N.W.2d 590 (1963).