Nebraska Revised Statute 84-1207
Chapter 84 Section 1207
State or local agency head; duties.
In accordance with general law and with the rules and regulations adopted and promulgated by the administrator and the board as provided in section 84-1216, the head of any state or local agency shall:
(1) Establish and maintain an active, continuing program for the efficient, cost-effective, modern, and economical management of the record-keeping activities of the agency;
(2) Make and maintain records containing adequate and proper documentation of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, and essential transactions of the agency, designed to furnish information to protect the legal and financial rights of the state, and of persons directly affected by the agency's activities;
(3) Make and submit to the administrator schedules proposing the length of time each record series warrants retention for administrative, legal, historical, or fiscal purposes, after it has been made in or received by the agency, and lists of records in the custody or under the control of the agency which are not needed in the transaction of current business and do not possess sufficient administrative, legal, historical, or fiscal value to warrant their further retention;
(4) Inventory the records in the custody or under the control of the agency and submit to the administrator a report thereon, containing such data as the administrator shall prescribe, including his or her recommendations as to which of such records, if any, should be determined to be essential records. He or she shall review the inventory and report periodically and, as necessary, shall revise the report so that it is current, accurate, and complete;
(5) Comply with the rules, regulations, standards, and procedures issued and set up by the administrator and the board and cooperate in the conduct of surveys made by the administrator pursuant to the Records Management Act; and
(6) Strive to reduce the costs to manage record retention.