Nebraska Revised Statute 81-1108.22
State building division; responsibility; office space outside the State Capitol; rental; approval; required; lease contract; filed; administrator; duties; State Building Revolving Fund; created; use; investment; applicability of section, when.
(1) The division shall have the responsibility of providing office space in leased and state-owned buildings in the proximity of the State Capitol and in other locations.
(2) When any board, agency, commission, or department of the state government not otherwise specifically authorized by law desires to use funds available for the purpose of renting office space outside of the State Capitol, it shall submit a request to the Director of Administrative Services. If the director approves the lease, the terms and location shall be approved by the director and the administrator in writing and the leases shall be entered into and administered by the administrator on behalf of the board, agency, commission, or department. A copy of all such lease contracts shall be kept on file by the state building division and shall be open to inspection by the Legislature and the public during normal business hours.
(3)(a) The administrator shall develop a system of charges to cover basic rental, maintenance, renovations, and operation of such leased and owned properties. The charges to state agencies, boards, commissions, or departments of state government shall be paid from funds available for the purpose of renting space on a regular basis and placed, as applicable, in the State Building Revolving Fund and the State Building Renewal Assessment Fund. The administrator shall make payments for basic rentals, renovations, and maintenance and operational costs of all leased and owned buildings from the State Building Revolving Fund except for expenses relating to security provided by the Nebraska State Patrol as provided in subdivision (b) of this subsection.
(b) The State Building Revolving Fund is created. The fund shall be administered by the administrator. The fund shall consist of rental charges and other receipts collected pursuant to contractual agreements between the state building division and other entities as authorized by law. The fund shall only be used to support the operation of the state building division as provided by law, except that the Legislature shall make fund transfers each fiscal year through the budget process from the State Building Revolving Fund to the Capitol Security Revolving Fund to help pay non-general-fund costs associated with the operation of the state capitol security division of the Nebraska State Patrol. Any money in the State Building Revolving Fund available for investment shall be invested by the state investment officer pursuant to the Nebraska Capital Expansion Act and the Nebraska State Funds Investment Act.
(4) The charges for such leased and owned properties shall only be adjusted by the administrator on July 1. Prior to any adjustment in the system of charges, the Department of Administrative Services, on or before December 1 of the year preceding the effective date of such adjustment, shall provide electronic notification to the Committee on Building Maintenance, the Clerk of the Legislature, and the Legislative Fiscal Analyst of the proposed adjustment to the system of charges.
(5) Commencing on April 18, 1992, all leases of real property entered into by any state agency, board, commission, or department shall be subject to this section. Leases held by a state agency, board, commission, or department on such date shall be valid until the lease contract is terminated or is subject to renewal. The division shall monitor all such leases and determine when the lease is subject to renewal. Once the determination is made, the division shall cancel the lease as of the renewal date and shall treat the need of the agency, board, commission, or department as an original request for space and subject to this section. This subsection shall not apply to (a) state-owned facilities to be rented to state agencies or other parties by the University of Nebraska, the Nebraska state colleges, the Department of Transportation, and the Board of Educational Lands and Funds, (b) facilities to be leased for use by the University of Nebraska, the Nebraska state colleges, and the Board of Educational Lands and Funds, (c) facilities to be leased for nonoffice use by the Department of Transportation, or (d) facilities controlled by the State Department of Education, which were formerly controlled by the Nebraska School for the Visually Handicapped, to be rented to state agencies or other parties by the department.
- Laws 1961, c. 353, § 1, p. 1113;
- Laws 1963, c. 421, § 1, p. 1347;
- R.R.S.1943, § 72-701.08;
- Laws 1974, LB 1048, § 13;
- Laws 1975, LB 359, § 13;
- Laws 1979, LB 576, § 5;
- Laws 1992, LB 1241, § 23;
- Laws 1995, LB 530, § 11;
- Laws 1998, LB 1100, § 22;
- Laws 1999, LB 813, § 57;
- Laws 2004, LB 439, § 22;
- Laws 2004, LB 1092, § 9;
- Laws 2007, LB322, § 26;
- Laws 2012, LB782, § 181;
- Laws 2017, LB339, § 286.