Nebraska Revised Statute 77-1344
Agricultural or horticultural land; special valuation; when applicable.
(1) Agricultural or horticultural land which has an actual value as defined in section 77-112 reflecting purposes or uses other than agricultural or horticultural purposes or uses shall be assessed as provided in subsection (3) of section 77-201 if the land meets the qualifications of this subsection and an application for such special valuation is filed and approved pursuant to section 77-1345. In order for the land to qualify for special valuation, all of the following criteria shall be met: (a) The land must be located outside the corporate boundaries of any sanitary and improvement district, city, or village except as provided in subsection (2) of this section; and (b) the land must be agricultural or horticultural land. If the land consists of five contiguous acres or less, the owner or lessee of the land must also provide an Internal Revenue Service Schedule F documenting a profit or loss from farming for two out of the last three years in order for such land to qualify for special valuation.
(2) Special valuation may be applicable to agricultural or horticultural land included within the corporate boundaries of a city or village if:
(a) The land is subject to a conservation or preservation easement as provided in the Conservation and Preservation Easements Act and the governing body of the city or village approves the agreement creating the easement;
(b) The land is subject to air installation compatible use zone regulations; or
(c) The land is within a flood plain.
(3) The eligibility of land for the special valuation provisions of this section shall be determined each year as of January 1. If the land so qualified becomes disqualified on or before December 31 of that year, it shall continue to receive the special valuation until January 1 of the year following.
(4) The special valuation placed on such land by the county assessor under this section shall be subject to equalization by the county board of equalization and the Tax Equalization and Review Commission.
- Laws 1974, LB 359, § 2;
- Laws 1983, LB 26, § 2;
- Laws 1985, LB 271, § 16;
- Laws 1989, LB 361, § 10;
- Laws 1991, LB 320, § 5;
- Laws 1996, LB 934, § 2;
- Laws 1996, LB 1039, § 1;
- Laws 1997, LB 270, § 76;
- Laws 1998, LB 611, § 3;
- Laws 2000, LB 968, § 49;
- Laws 2001, LB 170, § 10;
- Laws 2004, LB 973, § 26;
- Laws 2005, LB 261, § 5;
- Laws 2006, LB 808, § 28;
- Laws 2007, LB166, § 6;
- Laws 2009, LB166, § 10;
- Laws 2019, LB185, § 1;
- Laws 2021, LB9, § 2.
- Conservation and Preservation Easements Act, see section 76-2,118.