Nebraska Revised Statute 76-1315
Chapter 76 Section 1315
Prohibited acts; violations; penalty; injunction; cease and desist order.
(1) A developer, agent, managing agent, or association, or any other person subject to sections 76-1301 to 76-1315, shall not make, publish, disseminate, circulate, or place before the public, or cause, directly or indirectly, to be made, published, disseminated, circulated, or placed before the public, in a newspaper or other publication, or in the form of a notice, circular, pamphlet, or letter, or over any radio or television station, or in any other way, an advertisement, announcement, or statement of any sort containing any assertion, representation, or statement which is untrue, deceptive, or misleading. A developer, agent, managing agent, or association shall not file with the agency or make, publish, disseminate, circulate, or deliver to any person or place before the public, or cause, directly or indirectly, to be made, published, disseminated, circulated, or delivered to any person or placed before the public, a financial statement which contains representations which are untrue, deceptive, or misleading.
(2) If the developer, agent, managing agent, association, or other person subject to sections 76-1301 to 76-1315 violates any provision thereof, any person or class of persons damaged or otherwise adversely affected by the violation shall have a claim for appropriate relief, which may be brought in the county where the cause of action or part of the cause of action arose. The court may render any contract entered into in this state in violation of sections 76-1301 to 76-1315 void and unenforceable and any money paid under such contract, together with interest at the legal rate for judgments, may be recovered from the date of such payment or such violation, whichever is later. The court may also award such person or class of persons reasonable attorney's fees.
(3) Any developer, agent, or managing agent subject to sections 76-1301 to 76-1315 who offers or disposes of a unit or lot in a retirement subdivision or community without having complied with such sections or who violates any provision of such sections shall be guilty of a Class I misdemeanor.
(4) Whenever, in the judgment of the agency, any person has engaged or is about to engage in any acts or practices which constitute or will constitute a violation of sections 76-1301 to 76-1315, the Attorney General may maintain an action in the name of the State of Nebraska in the district court of Lancaster County to abate and temporarily and permanently enjoin such acts and practices, to enforce compliance with the provisions of sections 76-1301 to 76-1315, or to seek a civil penalty of not more than ten thousand dollars for each violation, with each day of continued violation to constitute a separate offense. The plaintiff shall not be required to give any bond and court costs shall not be adjudged against the plaintiff.
(5) The director of the agency, with the consent of the agency, shall have the power to issue a cease and desist order upon determination that sections 76-1301 to 76-1315 have been or are about to be violated.
- Laws 1972, LB 1311, § 15;
- Laws 1977, LB 39, § 209;
- Laws 2003, LB 61, § 12.