Nebraska Revised Statute 71-626.01
Chapter 71 Section 626.01
Adopted person; new birth certificate; conditions; contents; rules and regulations.
(1) The department shall establish a new certificate of birth for a person born in the State of Nebraska whenever it receives any of the following:
(a) A report of adoption as provided in section 71-626 on a form supplied by the department or a certified copy of the decree of adoption together with the information required in such report, except that a new certificate of birth shall not be established if so requested in writing by the court decreeing the adoption, the adoptive parents, or the adopted person; or
(b) A report of adoption or a certified copy of the decree of adoption entered in a court of competent jurisdiction of any other state or nation declaring adopted a person born in the State of Nebraska, together with the information necessary to identify the original certificate of birth and to establish the new certificate of birth, except that a new certificate of birth shall not be established when so requested by the court decreeing the adoption, the adoptive parents, or the adopted person.
(2) The new certificate of birth for a person born in the State of Nebraska shall be on the form in use at the time of its preparation and shall include the following items in addition to such other information as may be necessary to complete the form:
(a) The adoptive name of the person;
(b) The names and personal particulars of the adoptive parents;
(c) The date and place of birth as transcribed from the original certificate;
(d) The name of the attendant, printed or typed;
(e) The same birth number as was assigned to the original certificate; and
(f) The original filing date.
The data necessary to locate the existing certificate and the data necessary to complete the new certificate shall be submitted to the department.
(3) When an adoptive certificate of birth is established, the actual place of birth and date of birth shall be shown. It shall be substituted for the original certificate of birth. Thereafter, the original certificate and the evidence of adoption shall not be subject to inspection except (a) upon order of a court of competent jurisdiction, (b) as provided in sections 43-138 to 43-140, (c) as provided in sections 43-146.11 to 43-146.13, or (d) as provided by rules and regulations of the department. Upon receipt of notice that an adoption has been set aside, the original certificate of birth shall be restored to its place in the files and the new certificate and evidence shall not be subject to inspection except upon order of a court of competent jurisdiction.
(4) Whenever a new certificate of birth is established by the department, all copies of the original certificate of birth in the custody of any custodian of permanent local records in this state shall be sealed from inspection.
(5) The department may adopt and promulgate such rules and regulations as are necessary and proper to assist it in the implementation and administration of section 71-626 and this section.
- Laws 1971, LB 246, § 2;
- Laws 1980, LB 992, § 31;
- Laws 1988, LB 372, § 24;
- Laws 1996, LB 1044, § 537;
- Laws 1997, LB 307, § 156;
- Laws 2007, LB296, § 430.