Nebraska Revised Statute 45-351
Licensee; investigation and inspection; director; appoint examiners; charges; fines; lien.
(1) The department shall be charged with the duty of inspecting the business, records, and accounts of all persons who engage in the business of a sales finance company subject to the Nebraska Installment Sales Act. The director shall have the power to appoint examiners who shall, under his or her direction, investigate the installment contracts and business and examine the books and records of licensees when the director shall so determine. Such examinations shall not be conducted more often than annually except as provided in subsection (2) of this section.
(2) The director or his or her duly authorized representative shall have the power to make such investigations as he or she shall deem necessary, and to the extent necessary for this purpose, he or she may examine such licensee or any other person and shall have the power to compel the production of all relevant books, records, accounts, and documents.
(3) The expenses of the director incurred in the examination of the books and records of licensees shall be charged to the licensees as set forth in sections 8-605 and 8-606. The director may charge the costs of an investigation of a nonlicensed person to such person, and such costs shall be paid within thirty days after receipt of billing.
(4) Upon receipt by a licensee of a notice of investigation or inquiry request for information from the department, the licensee shall respond within twenty-one calendar days. Each day a licensee fails to respond as required by this subsection shall constitute a separate violation.
(5) If the director finds, after notice and opportunity for hearing in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act, that any person has willfully and intentionally violated any provision of the Nebraska Installment Sales Act, any rule or regulation adopted and promulgated under the act, or any order issued by the director under the act, the director may order such person to pay (a) an administrative fine of not more than one thousand dollars for each separate violation and (b) the costs of investigation. The department shall remit fines collected under this subsection to the State Treasurer for distribution in accordance with Article VII, section 5, of the Constitution of Nebraska.
(6) If a person fails to pay an administrative fine and the costs of investigation ordered pursuant to subsection (5) of this section, a lien in the amount of such fine and costs may be imposed upon all assets and property of such person in this state and may be recovered in a civil action by the director. The lien shall attach to the real property of such person when notice of the lien is filed and indexed against the real property in the office of the register of deeds in the county where the real property is located. The lien shall attach to any other property of such person when notice of the lien is filed against the property in the manner prescribed by law. Failure of the person to pay such fine and costs shall constitute a separate violation of the Nebraska Installment Sales Act.
- Administrative Procedure Act, see section 84-920.