Nebraska Revised Statute 39-1328.02

Chapter 39 Section 1328.02


State highways; frontage roads; request by municipality, county, or property owners; consent of federal government, when; right-of-way; reimbursement; maintenance.

Whenever a highway not a freeway, which formerly traversed the corporate limits of a municipality, has been relocated since January 1, 1960, and has been made or will be made a controlled-access facility, and the department has not provided any frontage road as authorized by section 39-1328, near an intersection with a roadway connecting with such municipality, the department shall, when consistent with requirements of traffic safety, and when the cost of drainage structures does not exceed five thousand dollars, and upon the conditions hereinafter set out construct such frontage roads if requested to do so by such municipality, the county, or by the owners of sixty percent of the property abutting on such relocated highway within two years after November 18, 1965, or within two years after the highway is made a controlled-access facility. If agreements exist with the federal government requiring its consent to the relinquishment of control of access, the department shall make a bona fide effort to secure such consent, but upon failure to obtain such consent, the frontage road shall not be constructed, or, if conditions are imposed by the federal government, the department shall construct such frontage roads only in accordance with such conditions. The municipality, county, or owners requesting such frontage road shall reimburse the department for any damages which it paid for such control of access and also for payment to the federal government of such sum, if any, demanded by it for the relinquishment of the access control. The quadrant of such intersection in which the frontage road may be located shall be designated by the governing board of such municipality. The department shall at the request of the county or municipality procure the right-of-way for such frontage road in the same manner as though it were for state highway purposes after receiving from the county or municipality reasonable assurance of reimbursement for such right-of-way costs. The responsibility for the maintenance of such frontage road shall be as provided in section 39-1372.