Nebraska Revised Statute 28-1008
Chapter 28 Section 1008
(1) Abandon means to leave any animal in one's care, whether as owner or custodian, for any length of time without making effective provision for its food, water, or other care as is reasonably necessary for the animal's health;
(2) Animal means any vertebrate member of the animal kingdom. Animal does not include an uncaptured wild creature or a livestock animal as defined in section 54-902;
(3) Cruelly mistreat means to knowingly and intentionally kill, maim, disfigure, torture, beat, mutilate, burn, scald, or otherwise inflict harm upon any animal;
(4) Cruelly neglect means to fail to provide any animal in one's care, whether as owner or custodian, with food, water, or other care as is reasonably necessary for the animal's health;
(5) Humane killing means the destruction of an animal by a method which causes the animal a minimum of pain and suffering;
(6) Law enforcement officer means any member of the Nebraska State Patrol, any county or deputy sheriff, any member of the police force of any city or village, or any other public official authorized by a city or village to enforce state or local animal control laws, rules, regulations, or ordinances. Law enforcement officer also includes a special investigator appointed as a deputy state sheriff as authorized pursuant to section 81-201 while acting within the authority of the Director of Agriculture under the Commercial Dog and Cat Operator Inspection Act;
(7) Mutilation means intentionally causing permanent injury, disfigurement, degradation of function, incapacitation, or imperfection to an animal. Mutilation does not include conduct performed by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine and surgery in this state or conduct that conforms to accepted veterinary practices;
(8) Owner or custodian means any person owning, keeping, possessing, harboring, or knowingly permitting an animal to remain on or about any premises owned or occupied by such person;
(9) Police animal means a horse or dog owned or controlled by the State of Nebraska or any county, city, or village for the purpose of assisting a law enforcement officer in the performance of his or her official enforcement duties;
(10) Repeated beating means intentional successive strikes to an animal by a person resulting in serious bodily injury or death to the animal;
(11) Serious injury or illness includes any injury or illness to any animal which creates a substantial risk of death or which causes broken bones, prolonged impairment of health, or prolonged loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ; and
(12) Torture means intentionally subjecting an animal to extreme pain, suffering, or agony. Torture does not include conduct performed by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine and surgery in this state or conduct that conforms to accepted veterinary practices.
- Commercial Dog and Cat Operator Inspection Act, see section 54-625.