Nebraska Revised Statute 24-710.04
Reemployment; military service; credit; effect.
(1) Any judge who returns to service as a judge for the State of Nebraska pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 4301 et seq., shall be treated as not having incurred a break in service by reason of the judge's period of military service. Such military service shall be credited for purposes of determining the nonforfeitability of the member's accrued benefits and the accrual of benefits under the plan.
(2) The state shall be liable for funding any obligation of the plan to provide benefits based upon such period of military service. To satisfy the liability, the State Court Administrator shall pay to the retirement system an amount equal to:
(a) The sum of the judge's contributions that would have been paid during such period of military service; and
(b) Any actuarial costs necessary to fund the obligation of the plan to provide benefits based upon such period of military service. For the purposes of determining the amount of such liability and obligation of the plan, earnings and forfeitures, gains and losses, regular interest, or interest credits that would have accrued on the judge's contributions that are paid by the State Court Administrator pursuant to this section shall not be included.
(3) The amount required in subsection (2) of this section shall be paid to the retirement system as soon as reasonably practicable following the date the judge returns to service as a judge for the State of Nebraska, but must be paid within eighteen months of the date the board notifies the State Court Administrator of the amount due. If the State Court Administrator fails to pay the required amount within such eighteen-month period, then the State Court Administrator is also responsible for any actuarial costs and interest on actuarial costs that accrue from eighteen months after the date the State Court Administrator is notified by the board until the date the amount is paid.
(4) The board may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations to carry out this section, including, but not limited to, rules and regulations on:
(a) How and when the judge and State Court Administrator must notify the retirement system of a period of military service;
(b) The acceptable methods of payment;
(c) Determining the service and compensation upon which the contributions must be made;
(d) Accelerating the payment from the State Court Administrator due to unforeseen circumstances that occur before payment is made pursuant to this section, including, but not limited to, the judge's termination or retirement or the court's reorganization, consolidation, or merger; and
(e) The documentation required to substantiate that the judge returned to service as a judge for the State of Nebraska pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 4301 et seq.
(5) This section only applies to military service that falls within the definition of uniformed service under 38 U.S.C. 4301 et seq. Military service does not include service provided pursuant to sections 55-101 to 55-181.
- Laws 1996, LB 847, § 14;
- Laws 2017, LB415, § 21.