Nebraska Revised Statute 2-958

Chapter 2


Noxious weed control fund; authorized; Noxious Weed Cash Fund; created; use; investment.

(1) A noxious weed control fund may be established for each control authority, which fund shall be available for expenses authorized to be paid from such fund, including necessary expenses of the control authority in carrying out its duties and responsibilities under the Noxious Weed Control Act. The weed control superintendent within the county shall (a) ascertain and tabulate each year the approximate amount of land infested with noxious weeds and its location in the county, (b) ascertain and prepare all information required by the county board in the preparation of the county budget, including actual and expected revenue from all sources, cash balances, expenditures, amounts proposed to be expended during the year, and working capital, and (c) transmit such information tabulated by the control authority to the county board not later than June 1 of each year.

(2) The Noxious Weed Cash Fund is created. The fund shall consist of proceeds raised from fees imposed for the registration of pesticides and earmarked for the fund pursuant to section 2-2634, funds credited or transferred pursuant to sections 81-201 and 81-201.05, any gifts, grants, or donations from any source, and any reimbursement funds for control work done pursuant to subdivision (1)(b)(vi) of section 2-954. An amount from the General Fund may be appropriated annually for the Noxious Weed Control Act. The fund shall be administered and used by the director to maintain the noxious weed control program and for expenses directly related to the program. Until January 1, 2020, the fund may also be used to defray all reasonable and necessary costs related to the implementation of the Nebraska Hemp Farming Act. The Department of Agriculture shall document all costs incurred for such purpose. The budget administrator of the budget division of the Department of Administrative Services may transfer a like amount from the Nebraska Hemp Program Fund to the Noxious Weed Cash Fund no later than October 1, 2022.

(3) Any money in the fund available for investment shall be invested by the state investment officer pursuant to the Nebraska Capital Expansion Act and the Nebraska State Funds Investment Act.


Cross References

  • Nebraska Capital Expansion Act, see section 72-1269.
  • Nebraska Hemp Farming Act, see section 2-501.
  • Nebraska State Funds Investment Act, see section 72-1260.