Nebraska Revised Statute 19-433
Commission plan; discontinuance; petition; election; procedure.
(1) Within ten days after the date of filing the petition asking for a special election on the issue of discontinuing the commission plan of government, the city clerk shall examine it and, with the assistance of the election commissioner or county clerk, ascertain whether the petition is signed by the requisite number of registered voters. If necessary, the city council shall allow the city clerk extra help for the purpose of examining the petition. No new signatures may be added after the initial filing of the petition. If the petition contains the requisite number of signatures, the city clerk shall promptly submit the petition to the city council.
(2) Upon receipt of the petition, the city council shall promptly order and fix a date for holding the special election, which date shall not be less than thirty nor more than sixty days from the date of the city clerk's certificate to the city council showing the petition sufficient. The special election shall be conducted in the same manner as provided for the election of city council members under the Municipal Commission Plan of Government Act.
- Laws 1911, c. 24, § 24, p. 170;
- Laws 1913, c. 21, § 8, p. 93;
- R.S.1913, § 5311;
- C.S.1922, § 4534;
- C.S.1929, § 19-424;
- R.S.1943, § 19-433;
- Laws 1979, LB 80, § 53;
- Laws 1984, LB 975, § 11;
- Laws 1994, LB 76, § 517;
- Laws 2019, LB193, § 29.
- Effective Date: September 1, 2019