Nebraska Revised Statute 83-4,125
Detention and juvenile facilities; terms, defined.
(1) Criminal detention facility means any institution operated by a political subdivision or a combination of political subdivisions for the careful keeping or rehabilitative needs of adult or juvenile criminal offenders or those persons being detained while awaiting disposition of charges against them. Criminal detention facility does not include any institution operated by the Department of Correctional Services. Criminal detention facilities shall be classified as follows:
(a) Type I Facilities means criminal detention facilities used for the detention of persons for not more than twenty-four hours, excluding nonjudicial days;
(b) Type II Facilities means criminal detention facilities used for the detention of persons for not more than ninety-six hours, excluding nonjudicial days; and
(c) Type III Facilities means criminal detention facilities used for the detention of persons beyond ninety-six hours;
(2) Juvenile detention facility means an institution operated by a political subdivision or political subdivisions for the secure detention and treatment of persons younger than eighteen years of age, including persons under the jurisdiction of a juvenile court, who are serving a sentence pursuant to a conviction in a county or district court or who are detained while waiting disposition of charges against them. Juvenile detention facility does not include any institution operated by the department;
(3) Juvenile facility means a residential child-caring agency as defined in section 71-1926, a juvenile detention facility or staff secure juvenile facility as defined in this section, a facility operated by the Department of Correctional Services that houses youth under the age of majority, or a youth rehabilitation and treatment center;
(4) Room confinement means the involuntary restriction of a juvenile placed alone in a cell, alone in a room, or alone in another area, including a juvenile's own room, except during normal sleeping hours, whether or not such cell, room, or other area is subject to video or other electronic monitoring; and
(5) Staff secure juvenile facility means a juvenile residential facility operated by a political subdivision (a) which does not include construction designed to physically restrict the movements and activities of juveniles who are in custody in the facility, (b) in which physical restriction of movement or activity of juveniles is provided solely through staff, (c) which may establish reasonable rules restricting ingress to and egress from the facility, and (d) in which the movements and activities of individual juvenile residents may, for treatment purposes, be restricted or subject to control through the use of intensive staff supervision. Staff secure juvenile facility does not include any institution operated by the department.