Nebraska Revised Statute 83-4,134.02
Placement of juvenile in room confinement; restrictions on placement; conditions; release; facility; duties; monitoring.
(1) This section applies to placement of a juvenile in room confinement in the following facilities: A juvenile detention facility, staff secure juvenile facility, facility operated by the Department of Correctional Services, or youth rehabilitation and treatment center operated by the Department of Health and Human Services.
(2) A juvenile shall not be placed in room confinement for any of the following reasons:
(a) As a punishment or a disciplinary sanction;
(b) As a response to a staffing shortage; or
(c) As retaliation against the juvenile by staff.
(3) A juvenile shall not be placed in room confinement unless all other less-restrictive alternatives have been exhausted and the juvenile poses an immediate and substantial risk of harm to self or others.
(4) A juvenile may only be held in room confinement according to the following conditions:
(a) A juvenile shall not be held in room confinement longer than the minimum time required to eliminate the substantial and immediate risk of harm to self or others and shall be released from room confinement as soon as the substantial and immediate risk of harm to self or others is resolved; and
(b) A juvenile shall only be held in room confinement for a period that does not compromise or harm the mental or physical health of the juvenile.
(5) Any juvenile placed in room confinement shall be released immediately upon regaining sufficient control so as to no longer engage in behavior that threatens substantial and immediate risk of harm to self or others.
(6) Not later than one business day after the date on which a facility places a juvenile in room confinement, the facility shall provide notice of the placement in room confinement to the juvenile's parent or guardian and the attorney of record for the juvenile.
(7) All rooms used for room confinement shall have adequate and operating lighting, heating and cooling, and ventilation for the comfort of the juvenile. Rooms shall be clean and resistant to suicide and self-harm. Juveniles in room confinement shall have access to drinking water, toilet facilities, hygiene supplies, and reading materials approved by a licensed mental health professional.
(8) Juveniles in room confinement shall have the same access as provided to juveniles in the general population of the facility to meals, contact with parents or legal guardians, legal assistance, and access to educational programming.
(9) Juveniles in room confinement shall have access to appropriate medical and mental health services. Mental health staff shall promptly provide mental health services as needed.
(10) Juveniles in room confinement shall be continuously monitored by staff of the facility. Continuous monitoring may be accomplished through regular in-person visits to the confined juvenile which may also be supplemented by electronic video monitoring.
(11) The use of consecutive periods of room confinement to avoid the intent and purpose of this section is prohibited.
(12) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize or require the construction or erection of fencing or similar structures at any facility, nor the imposition of nonrehabilitative approaches to behavior management within any facility.