Nebraska Revised Statute 81-3711.01
Chapter 81 Section 3711.01
Significant tourism attractions; commission; powers and duties; appoint special committee; Department of Transportation; duties.
(1) The commission may mark significant tourism attractions in Nebraska.
(2) The commission may (a) determine what tourism attractions are significant to the State of Nebraska, (b) expend funds for the purchase of highway tourism markers, (c) designate the approximate location of highway tourism markers, (d) preserve, replace, or modify highway tourism markers, and (e) accept gifts and encourage local participation in and contribution to the erection of highway tourism markers through the use of gifts and matching-fund agreements. Such funds shall be deposited into the State Visitors Promotion Cash Fund. The commission shall not expend funds for the purchase of highway tourism markers until funding has been secured through gifts or otherwise.
(3) The commission may appoint and delegate to a special committee the duties of research and investigation to assist in the determination of tourism attractions that should be designated by highway tourism markers. The Department of Transportation shall erect and maintain highway tourism markers and shall determine the exact location of highway tourism markers with consideration given for the safety and welfare of the public.
(4) The commission may secure payment to the state for the actual replacement cost of any highway tourism markers damaged or destroyed, accidentally or otherwise. Any funds so collected shall be remitted to the State Treasurer for credit to the State Visitors Promotion Cash Fund for the procurement of highway tourism markers.
(5) Nothing in this section shall be construed to restrict the placement of any marker or signage on private property.