Nebraska Revised Statute 79-217
School board and governing authority; student; immunization against certain contagious diseases; exception.
(1) Except as provided in sections 79-221 and 79-222, the school board or board of education of each school district and the governing authority of each private, denominational, or parochial school in this state shall require each student to be protected against measles, mumps, rubella, poliomyelitis, diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus by immunization prior to enrollment. Any student who does not comply with this section shall not be permitted to continue in school until he or she so complies, except as provided by section 79-222. Each school district shall make diligent efforts to inform families prior to the date of school registration of the immunization requirements of this section.
(2) Except as provided in sections 79-221 and 79-222, on and after July 1, 2010, every student entering the seventh grade shall have a booster immunization containing diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and an acellular pertussis vaccine which meets the standards approved by the United States Public Health Service for such biological products, as such standards existed on January 1, 2009.
(3) Except as provided in the Childhood Vaccine Act, the cost of such immunizations shall be borne by the parent or guardian of each student who is immunized or by the Department of Health and Human Services for those students whose parent or guardian is financially unable to meet such cost.
- Laws 1973, LB 173, § 1;
- Laws 1973, LB 546, § 1;
- Laws 1979, LB 59, § 2;
- Laws 1992, LB 431, § 8;
- Laws 1993, LB 536, § 109;
- Laws 1994, LB 1223, § 128;
- R.S.1943, (1994), § 79-444.01;
- Laws 1996, LB 900, § 21;
- Laws 1996, LB 1044, § 811;
- Laws 2005, LB 301, § 63;
- Laws 2007, LB296, § 707;
- Laws 2009, LB464, § 1.
- Childhood Vaccine Act, see section 71-526.
An unimmunized student's right to attend school on presentation of a properly signed immunization waiver is limited by a school board's authority, under former section 79-4,177(1), to exclude the unimmunized student from school during presence of a disease specified by this section. Maack v. School Dist. of Lincoln, 241 Neb. 847, 491 N.W.2d 341 (1992).