Nebraska Revised Statute 77-1502.01

Chapter 77


Board; referee; appointment; compensation; duties.

In all counties the county board of equalization may appoint one or more suitable persons to act as referees. The compensation of a referee shall be fixed by the county board and shall be payable from the general fund of the county. The county board of equalization may direct that any protest filed in accordance with section 77-1502, shall be heard in the first instance by the referee in the manner provided for the hearing of protests by the county board of equalization. Upon the conclusion of the hearing in each case, the referee shall transmit to the county board of equalization all papers relating to the case, together with his or her findings and recommendations in writing. The county board of equalization, after considering all papers relating to the protest and the findings and recommendations of the referee, may make the order recommended by the referee or any other order in the judgment of the board of equalization required by the findings of the referee, or may hear additional testimony, or may set aside such findings and hear the protest anew.


  • Laws 1969, c. 626, § 1, p. 2525;
  • Laws 1980, LB 658, § 1.


  • The ultimate responsibility to equalize valuations rests upon the county board of equalization, and it cannot avoid this duty by using the power to appoint referees. Zabawa v. Douglas Cty. Bd. of Equal., 17 Neb. App. 221, 757 N.W.2d 522 (2008).