Nebraska Revised Statute 70-615
Board of directors; vacancy; how filled.
(1) In addition to the events listed in section 32-560, a vacancy on the board of directors shall exist in the event of the (a) removal from the chartered area of any director, (b) removal from the subdivision from which such director was elected except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) or (3) of section 70-612, (c) elimination or detachment from the chartered area of the territory in which a director or directors reside, or (d) expiration of the term of office of a director and failure to elect a director to fill such office at the preceding general election. After notice and hearing, a vacancy shall also exist in the event of the absence of any director from more than two consecutive regular meetings of the board, unless such absences are excused by a majority of the remaining board members.
(2) In the event of a vacancy from any of such causes, or otherwise, such vacancy or vacancies shall, except in districts having within their chartered area twenty-five or more cities and villages, be filled by the board of directors. In districts having within their chartered area twenty-five or more cities and villages, vacancies shall be filled by the Governor.
(3) If a vacancy occurs during the term of any director prior to the deadline for filing and the unexpired term extends beyond the first Thursday after the first Tuesday in January following the next general election, an appointment shall be until the first Thursday after the first Tuesday in January following the next general election, and candidates may file nomination papers as provided by law for the placing of their names upon the ballot for election to the unexpired term. If a vacancy occurs during the term of any director after the deadline for filing for election, an appointment shall be until the first Thursday after the first Tuesday in January following the next general election for which candidates may file nomination papers as provided by law.
(4) At any time a vacancy is to be filled by election, the secretary of the district shall give notice to the public by publishing the notice of vacancy, length of term, and the deadline for filing, once in a newspaper or newspapers of general circulation within the district.
(5) Any appointment shall be filed with the Secretary of State by certified mail.
- Laws 1933, c. 86, § 4, p. 344;
- Laws 1937, c. 152, § 4, p. 581;
- Laws 1941, c. 137, § 1, p. 542;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 70-704;
- Laws 1943, c. 145, § 1(7), p. 514;
- Laws 1943, c. 146, § 1, p. 516;
- R.S.1943, § 70-615;
- Laws 1945, c. 157, § 3, p. 518;
- Laws 1953, c. 106, § 31, p. 338;
- Laws 1957, c. 124, § 23, p. 436;
- Laws 1967, c. 418, § 5, p. 1268;
- Laws 1973, LB 364, § 3;
- Laws 1975, LB 453, § 59;
- Laws 1985, LB 569, § 2;
- Laws 1994, LB 76, § 584;
- Laws 2013, LB646, § 3.