Nebraska Revised Statute 69-504
Manufacturer; written certification; contents; fee; Reduced Cigarette Ignition Propensity Fund; created; use; investment; altered cigarettes; retesting required.
(1) Each manufacturer shall submit to the State Fire Marshal a written certification attesting that:
(a) Each cigarette listed in the certification has been tested in accordance with section 69-503; and
(b) Each cigarette listed in the certification meets the performance standard set forth in section 69-503.
(2) Each cigarette listed in the certification shall be described with the following information:
(a) Brand or trade name on the package;
(b) Style, such as light or ultra light;
(c) Length in millimeters;
(d) Circumference in millimeters;
(e) Flavor, such as menthol or chocolate, if applicable;
(f) Filter or nonfilter;
(g) Package description, such as soft pack or box;
(h) Marking pursuant to section 69-505;
(i) The name, address, and telephone number of the laboratory, if different than the manufacturer, that conducted the test; and
(j) The date that the testing occurred.
(3) The State Fire Marshal shall make the certifications available to the Attorney General for purposes consistent with the Reduced Cigarette Ignition Propensity Act and the Department of Revenue for the purposes of ensuring compliance with this section.
(4) Each cigarette certified under this section shall be recertified every four years.
(5) At the time a manufacturer submits a written certification under this section, the manufacturer shall pay to the State Fire Marshal a fee of one thousand dollars for each brand family of cigarettes identified in the certification. The fee paid shall apply to all cigarettes listed in the brand family identified in the certification and shall include any new cigarette certified within the brand family during the four-year certification period.
(6) The Reduced Cigarette Ignition Propensity Fund is created. The fund shall consist of all certification fees submitted by manufacturers in addition to any other funds made available for such purpose. The State Fire Marshal shall use the fund to carry out the act. Fees collected pursuant to this section shall be remitted to the State Treasurer for credit to the fund. Any money in the fund available for investment shall be invested by the state investment officer pursuant to the Nebraska Capital Expansion Act and the Nebraska State Funds Investment Act.
(7) If a manufacturer has certified a cigarette pursuant to this section and thereafter makes any change to such cigarette that is likely to alter its compliance with the reduced cigarette ignition propensity standards required by the Reduced Cigarette Ignition Propensity Act, such cigarette shall not be sold or offered for sale in this state until the manufacturer retests the cigarette in accordance with the testing standards set forth in section 69-503 and maintains records of that retesting as required by section 69-503. Any altered cigarette which does not meet the performance standard set forth in section 69-503 shall not be sold in this state.