Nebraska Revised Statute 54-778
Responsibility for costs; department; powers and duties; prohibited acts; penalty; Anthrax Control Act Cash Fund; created; use; investment.
(1) The owner or custodian of an affected herd or affected premises shall be responsible to pay for costs related to: (a) The quarantine, testing, or vaccination of an affected herd; (b) the disinfection or cleaning of the premises of an affected herd; and (c) any other costs associated with the control of anthrax in such herd.
(2) The department may assess and collect payment for services provided and expenses incurred pursuant to its responsibilities under the Anthrax Control Act.
(3) Any person failing to carry out the responsibilities set out in the act and any rules and regulations adopted and promulgated thereunder shall be guilty of a Class I misdemeanor. Whenever any person fails to carry out such responsibilities under the act, the department may perform such functions. Upon completion of any required anthrax control activities, the department shall determine its actual costs incurred in handling the affected herd and affected premises and conducting the testing and notify the herd owner or custodian in writing. The herd owner or custodian shall reimburse the department its actual costs within fifteen days following the date of the notice. Any person failing to reimburse the department shall be assessed a late fee of up to twenty-five percent of the amount due for each thirty days of nonpayment to reimburse the department for its costs of collecting the amount due.
(4) Any costs and fees assessed and collected pursuant to this section shall be remitted to the State Treasurer for credit to the Anthrax Control Act Cash Fund.
(5) The Anthrax Control Act Cash Fund is created. The fund shall consist of money appropriated by the Legislature and gifts, grants, costs, or charges from any source, including federal, state, public, and private sources. The fund shall be used to carry out the Anthrax Control Act. Any money in the fund available for investment shall be invested by the state investment officer pursuant to the Nebraska Capital Expansion Act and the Nebraska State Funds Investment Act.