Nebraska Revised Statute 44-9217
Public adjuster; loyalty; prohibited acts.
(1) A public adjuster shall serve with objectivity and complete loyalty to the interest of the insured and shall, in good faith, render to the insured such information, counsel, and service, as within the knowledge, understanding, and opinion of such public adjuster will best serve the insurance claim needs and interest of the insured.
(2) A public adjuster shall not solicit, nor attempt to solicit, an insured during the progress of a loss-producing occurrence, as defined in the insured’s insurance contract.
(3) A public adjuster shall not permit an unlicensed employee or representative of the public adjuster to conduct business for which a license is required under the Public Adjusters Licensing Act.
(4) A public adjuster shall not have a direct or indirect financial interest in any aspect of the claim, other than the salary, fee, commission, or other consideration established in the written contract with the insured. Direct or indirect financial interest includes, but is not limited to, ownership of, employment by, or other consideration received from any business entity or individual that performs any work pertaining to damage related to the insured loss.
(5) A public adjuster shall not acquire any interest in salvage of property subject to the contract with the insured unless the public adjuster obtains written permission from the insured after settlement of the claim with the insurer.
(6) A public adjuster shall abstain from referring or directing the insured to obtain needed repairs or services in connection with a loss from any person:
(a) With whom the public adjuster has a direct or indirect financial interest; or
(b) From whom the public adjuster may receive direct or indirect compensation or other consideration for the referral.
(7) A public adjuster shall not undertake the adjustment of any claim if such public adjuster is not competent and knowledgeable as to the terms and conditions of the insurance coverage or if the loss or coverage otherwise exceeds the current expertise of the public adjuster.
(8) A public adjuster shall not knowingly make any false oral or written material statements regarding any person engaged in the business of insurance to any insured client or potential insured client.
(9) A public adjuster, while so licensed pursuant to the Public Adjusters Licensing Act, shall not represent or act as a company adjuster or independent adjuster in any circumstance.
(10) A public adjuster shall not enter into a contract or accept a power of attorney that vests in such public adjuster the effective authority to choose the persons who shall perform repair work.
(11) A public adjuster shall not agree to any loss settlement without the knowledge and consent of the insured.
- Laws 2018, LB743, § 17.
- Effective Date: July 19, 2018