Nebraska Revised Statute 38-1414
Funeral directing and embalming; license; requirements.
(1) The department shall issue a single license to practice funeral directing and embalming to applicants who meet the requirements of this section. An applicant for a license as a funeral director and embalmer shall:
(a) Present satisfactory proof that the applicant has earned the equivalent of forty semester hours of college credit in addition to a full course of instruction in an accredited school of mortuary science. Such hours shall include the equivalent of (i) six semester hours of English, (ii) twelve semester hours of business, (iii) four semester hours of chemistry, (iv) twelve semester hours of a biological science relating to the human body, and (v) six semester hours of psychology or counseling; and
(b) Present proof to the department that he or she has completed the following training:
(i) A full course of instruction in an accredited school of mortuary science;
(ii) A twelve-month apprenticeship under the supervision of a licensed funeral director and embalmer practicing in the State of Nebraska, which apprenticeship shall consist of arterially embalming twenty-five bodies and assisting with twenty-five funerals; and
(iii) Successful completion of the licensure examination approved by the board.
(2) Any person holding a valid license as an embalmer on January 1, 1994, may continue to provide services as an embalmer after such date. Upon expiration of such valid license, the person may apply for renewal thereof, and the department shall renew such license to practice embalming.
(3) Any person holding a valid license as a funeral director on January 1, 1994, may continue to provide services as a funeral director after such date. Upon expiration of such valid license, the person may apply for renewal thereof, and the department shall renew such license to practice funeral directing.
- Laws 1927, c. 167, § 93, p. 480;
- C.S.1929, § 71-1302;
- Laws 1931, c. 123, § 1, p. 355;
- Laws 1937, c. 155, § 1, p. 612;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 71-1302;
- R.S.1943, § 71-195;
- Laws 1955, c. 271, § 1, p. 852;
- Laws 1986, LB 926, § 43;
- Laws 1987, LB 473, § 19;
- Laws 1988, LB 1100, § 35;
- R.S.1943, (1990), § 71-195;
- Laws 1993, LB 187, § 14;
- R.S.1943, (2003), § 71-1302;
- Laws 2007, LB463, § 550;
- Laws 2022, LB704, § 1.
- Effective Date: July 21, 2022
- Credentialing, general requirements and issuance procedures, see section 38-121 et seq.