Nebraska Revised Statute 38-131
Criminal background check; when required.
(1) An applicant for an initial license to practice as a registered nurse, a licensed practical nurse, a physical therapist, a physical therapy assistant, a psychologist, an advanced emergency medical technician, an emergency medical technician, an audiologist, a speech-language pathologist, a licensed independent mental health practitioner, an occupational therapist, an occupational therapy assistant, or a paramedic or to practice a profession which is authorized to prescribe controlled substances shall be subject to a criminal background check. A criminal background check may also be required for initial licensure or reinstatement of a license governed by the Uniform Credentialing Act if a criminal background check is required by an interstate licensure compact. Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, the applicant shall submit with the application a full set of fingerprints which shall be forwarded to the Nebraska State Patrol to be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a national criminal history record information check. The applicant shall authorize release of the results of the national criminal history record information check to the department. The applicant shall pay the actual cost of the fingerprinting and criminal background check.
(2) This section shall not apply to a dentist who is an applicant for a dental locum tenens under section 38-1122, to a physician or osteopathic physician who is an applicant for a physician locum tenens under section 38-2036, or to a veterinarian who is an applicant for a veterinarian locum tenens under section 38-3335.
(3) An applicant for a temporary educational permit as defined in section 38-2019 shall have ninety days from the issuance of the permit to comply with subsection (1) of this section and shall have his or her permit suspended after such ninety-day period if the criminal background check is not complete or revoked if the criminal background check reveals that the applicant was not qualified for the permit.
- Laws 2005, LB 306, § 2;
- Laws 2005, LB 382, § 15;
- Laws 2006, LB 833, § 1;
- R.S.Supp.,2006, § 71-104.01;
- Laws 2007, LB247, § 60;
- Laws 2007, LB463, § 31;
- Laws 2007, LB481, § 2;
- Laws 2011, LB687, § 1;
- Laws 2015, LB129, § 1;
- Laws 2018, LB731, § 1;
- Laws 2018, LB1034, § 5;
- Laws 2022, LB752, § 7.
- Effective Date: July 21, 2022