Nebraska Revised Statute 38-1131
Chapter 38 Section 1131
Licensed dental hygienist; procedures and functions authorized; enumerated.
When authorized by and under the general supervision of a licensed dentist, a licensed dental hygienist may perform the following intra and extra oral procedures and functions:
(1) Oral prophylaxis, periodontal scaling, and root planing which includes supragingival and subgingival debridement;
(2) Polish all exposed tooth surfaces, including restorations;
(3) Conduct and assess preliminary charting, probing, screening examinations, and indexing of dental and periodontal disease, with referral, when appropriate, for a dental diagnosis by a licensed dentist;
(4) Brush biopsies;
(5) Pulp vitality testing;
(6) Gingival curettage;
(7) Removal of sutures;
(8) Preventive measures, including the application of fluorides, sealants, and other recognized topical agents for the prevention of oral disease;
(9) Impressions for study casts;
(10) Application of topical and subgingival agents;
(11) Radiographic exposures;
(12) Oral health education, including conducting workshops and inservice training sessions on dental health;
(13) Application or administration of antimicrobial rinses, fluorides, and other anticariogenic agents;
(14) Upon completion of education and testing approved by the board, interim therapeutic restoration technique; and
(15) All of the duties that a dental assistant who is not licensed is authorized to perform.
Upon completion of education and testing approved by the board and when authorized by and under the general supervision of a licensed dentist, a licensed dental hygienist may write prescriptions for mouth rinses and fluoride products that help decrease the risk for tooth decay.