Nebraska Revised Statute 30-2315

Chapter 30


Right of election personal to surviving spouse.

The right of election of the surviving spouse may be exercised only during his or her lifetime by him or her. In the case of a protected person, the right of election may be exercised only by order of the court in which protective proceedings as to his or her property are pending, after finding that exercise thereof in the fraction designated or proposed is in the best interests of the protected person during his or her probable life expectancy and of the children, family members, or other successors to the decedent or to the protected person, due regard being given by the court to the other assets and resources of the protected person, the extent and nature of any dependent, mutual, or otherwise related estate planning of the decedent and the protected person, the present and likely future financial impact upon the estate of the decedent, the protected person or the estate of the protected person, or such successors of any federal or state estate, excise, gift, income, inheritance, succession, or other tax consequent upon such exercise, and the existence or nonexistence of any other factors deemed by the court to be relevant to the exercise or nonexercise of the right of election.


  • Laws 1974, LB 354, § 37, UPC § 2-203;
  • Laws 1980, LB 694, § 5.


  • Under the plain language of this section, the surrounding facts and circumstances should be taken in consideration by the court in order to determine whether to authorize the filing for the elective share in the case of a protected person. In re Guardianship & Conservatorship of Kaiser, 295 Neb. 532, 891 N.W.2d 84 (2017).

  • If a surviving spouse dies after filing a petition for an elective share pursuant to section 30-2315 and this section, the proceeding to enforce the spouse's election as a vested right may be revived by the personal representative of the estate of the spouse who has made the election but who has died before distribution of property pursuant to the elective share. A surviving spouse elects to take a share in the augmented estate when a petition for the elective share is filed in the county court that has probate jurisdiction and is served on the estate's personal representative, if any. In re Estate of Stephenson, 243 Neb. 890, 503 N.W.2d 540 (1993).