Nebraska Revised Statute 19-3315
Taxes and assessments; purpose; procedure; notice; hearing.
The mayor and city council may by resolution levy and assess taxes and assessments as follows:
(1) A property tax within any district of not to exceed thirty-five cents on each one hundred dollars of taxable valuation of taxable property within such district subject to section 77-3443 to pay all or any part of the cost to improve, repair, maintain, reconstruct, operate, or acquire any offstreet parking facility and to pay principal and interest on any bonds issued for an offstreet parking facility for such district. Such tax shall be levied and collected at the same time and under the same provisions as the regular general city tax. The taxes collected from any district shall be used only for the benefit of such district. For purposes of subsection (2) of section 77-3443, the tax shall be counted in the allocation by the city proportionately, by dividing the total taxable valuation of the taxable property within the district by the total taxable valuation of the taxable property within the city multiplied by the levy of the district;
(2) A special assessment against the real property located in such district to the extent of the special benefit thereto for the purpose of paying all or any part of the total costs and expenses of acquisition, including construction, of an offstreet parking facility in such district. The special assessment shall be levied as provided in section 19-3314. In the event that subsequent to the levy of assessments the use of any parcel of land changes so that, had the new use existed at the time of making such levy, the assessment on such parcel would have been higher than the assessment actually made, an additional assessment may be made on such parcel by the mayor and city council taking into consideration the new and changed use of the property. The total amount of assessments levied under this subdivision shall not exceed the total costs and expenses of acquiring a facility defined in section 19-3313. The levy of an additional assessment shall not reduce or affect in any manner the assessments previously levied. Additional assessments shall be levied as provided in section 19-3314, except that published notice may be omitted if notice is personally served on the owner at least twenty days prior to the date of hearing. All assessments levied under this subdivision shall constitute a sinking fund for the payment of principal and interest on bonds issued for such facility as provided by section 19-3317 until such bonds and interest are fully paid; and
(3) A special assessment against the real property located in such district to the extent of special benefit thereto for the purpose of paying all or any part of the costs of maintenance, repair, and reconstruction of such offstreet parking facility in the district. The mayor and city council may levy such assessments under either of the following methods: (a) The mayor and city council may, not more frequently than annually, determine the costs of maintenance, repair, and reconstruction of such facility and such costs shall be assessed to the real property located in such district as provided by section 19-3314. At the hearing on such assessments, objections may be made to the total costs and the proposed allocation of such costs among the parcels of real property in such district; or (b) after notice is given to the owners as provided in section 19-3314, the mayor and city council may establish and may change from time to time the percentage of such costs of maintenance, repair, and reconstruction which each parcel of real property in any district shall pay. Thereafter, the mayor and city council shall annually determine the total amount of such costs for each period since costs were last assessed and shall after a hearing assess such costs to the real property in the district in accordance with the percentages previously established or as established at such hearing. Notice of such hearing shall be given as provided in section 19-3314 and shall state the total cost and percentage to be assessed to each parcel of real property. Unless written objections are filed with the city clerk at least five days before the hearing, all objections to the amount of total costs and the assessment percentages shall be deemed to have been waived and assessments shall be levied as stated in such notice unless the mayor and city council reduce any assessment. At such hearing, the assessment percentage for the assessment of costs in the future may be changed.
- Laws 1967, c. 60, § 15, p. 203;
- R.S.Supp.,1967, § 16-826;
- Laws 1969, c. 88, § 15, p. 444;
- Laws 1973, LB 540, § 3;
- Laws 1975, LB 564, § 2;
- Laws 1979, LB 187, § 86;
- Laws 1992, LB 719A, § 86;
- Laws 1997, LB 269, § 21;
- Laws 2002, LB 994, § 3.