Nebraska Revised Statute 16-702
Property tax; general purposes; levy; collection; maximum authorized; specific purposes; additional levies.
(1) Subject to the limits in section 77-3442, the mayor and city council of a city of the first class shall have power to levy and collect taxes for all municipal purposes on the taxable property within the corporate limits of the city. All city taxes, except special assessments otherwise provided for, shall become due on the first day of December of each year.
(2) At the time provided for by law, the city council shall cause to be certified to the county clerk the amount of tax to be levied for purposes of the adopted budget statement on the taxable property within the city for the year then ensuing, as shown by the assessment roll for such year, including all special assessments and taxes assessed as provided by law. The county clerk shall place the same on the proper tax list to be collected in the manner provided by law for the collection of county taxes in the county where such city is situated.
(3) In all sales for delinquent taxes for municipal purposes, if there are other delinquent taxes due from the same person or lien on the same property, the sales shall be for all the delinquent taxes. Such sales and all sales made under and by virtue of this section or the provisions of law referred to in this section shall be of the same validity and, in all respects, shall be deemed and treated as though such sale had been made for the delinquent county taxes exclusively.
(4) The maximum amount of tax which may be certified, assessed, and collected for purposes of the adopted budget statement shall not require a tax levy in excess of eighty-seven and five-tenths cents on each one hundred dollars upon the taxable value of the taxable property within such city. Any special assessments, special taxes, amounts assessed as taxes, and such sums as may be authorized by law to be levied for the payment of outstanding bonds and debts may be made by the city council in addition to the levy of eighty-seven and five-tenths cents on each one hundred dollars upon the taxable value of the taxable property within such city. The city council may certify a further amount of tax to be levied which shall not require a tax levy in excess of seven cents on each one hundred dollars upon the taxable value of the taxable property within such city for the purpose of establishing the sinking fund or sinking funds authorized by sections 19-1301 to 19-1304, and in addition thereto, when required by section 18-501, a further levy of ten and five-tenths cents on each one hundred dollars upon the taxable value of the taxable property within such city may be imposed.
(5) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize an increase in the amounts of levies for any specific municipal purpose or purposes elsewhere limited by law, whether limited in specific sums or by tax levies.
- Laws 1901, c. 18, § 82, p. 291;
- Laws 1903, c. 19, § 16, p. 245;
- R.S.1913, § 4973;
- C.S.1922, § 4142;
- Laws 1925, c. 37, § 1, p. 145;
- C.S.1929, § 16-702;
- Laws 1937, c. 176, § 3, p. 694;
- Laws 1939, c. 12, § 5, p. 82;
- Laws 1941, c. 157, § 5, p. 610;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 16-702;
- R.S.1943, § 16-702;
- Laws 1947, c. 29, § 2, p. 136;
- Laws 1953, c. 287, § 12, p. 936;
- Laws 1957, c. 39, § 1, p. 210;
- Laws 1969, c. 145, § 16, p. 681;
- Laws 1979, LB 187, § 45;
- Laws 1987, LB 441, § 1;
- Laws 1992, LB 1063, § 8;
- Laws 1992, Second Spec. Sess., LB 1, § 8;
- Laws 1996, LB 1114, § 28;
- Laws 2016, LB704, § 173;
- Laws 2019, LB194, § 76.