Nebraska Revised Statute 14-373.02
Planning board; extraterritorial member; vacancy; how filled; procedure.
(1) Notwithstanding any provision of a home rule charter to the contrary, the next vacancy that occurs on a city planning board on or after January 1, 1998, shall be filled by the appointment of a person who resides in the area of extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction as provided in subsection (2) of this section. At all times following the initial appointment of a planning board member who resides in the area of extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction, one member of the planning board shall be so qualified and appointed.
(2) The city clerk shall formally notify the county clerk of the existence of the next vacant position that occurs on the planning board on or after January 1, 1998, within ten days after the date of the vacancy. The county board, within thirty days after such notice, shall hold a meeting to consider nominations for appointment to the vacancy and shall appoint a person qualified under subsection (1) of this section to fill the vacancy. Prior to holding such meeting, the county board shall cause to be published a notice of the vacancy and the date of the meeting. The notice shall be published in a legal newspaper in or of general circulation in the county in which such planning board is located at least once in each of the two weeks immediately preceding the week of the meeting. A nominee for the vacancy shall be appointed by majority vote of the county board. The appointee shall become a member of the planning board when the city clerk receives certification from the county clerk of the name of the appointee.
(3) Following the initial appointment of the extraterritorial member to the planning board pursuant to this section, the city clerk shall inform the county clerk of any vacancy occurring in the extraterritorial member's position within ten days after its occurrence or at least thirty days prior to the expiration of the extraterritorial member's term.
(4) Any person qualified and appointed under this section shall serve for terms equal to that of the planning board members who reside within the corporate boundaries of the city and shall become a member of the planning board with all rights, duties, responsibilities, and privileges relating to the position by state law, home rule charter, or city ordinance.
(5) For purposes of this section:
(a) Area of extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction means the unincorporated area three miles beyond and adjacent to the corporate boundaries of a city of the metropolitan class;
(b) City means a city of the metropolitan class;
(c) County board means the county board of a county in which a city of the metropolitan class is located;
(d) County clerk means the county clerk of a county in which a city of the metropolitan class is located; and
(e) Planning board means a planning board as organized pursuant to section 14-407.
- Laws 1996, LB 575, § 3;
- Laws 2022, LB800, § 85.
- Operative Date: July 21, 2022