Office of Inspector General of Nebraska Child Welfare
An Office Providing Oversight of the Nebraska Child Welfare System
Vacant, Inspector General of Nebraska Child Welfare
The Office of the Inspector General (OIG) provides an independent form of inquiry and review of the actions of individuals and agencies responsible for the care and protection of children in the Nebraska Child Welfare and Juvenile Probation systems. The OIG is a subdivision of the Office of Public Counsel (Ombudsman’s Office).
The office investigates allegations or incidents of misconduct, misfeasance, malfeasance, statutory violations, and regulatory violations committed by any of the following:
- Department of Health and Human Services;
- Juvenile Probation;
- The Commission on Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice’s Juvenile Justice Programs;
- Persons and entities in the child welfare and juvenile justice system under state contract;
- Private agencies and child welfare service providers;
- Licensed child care facilities;
- Foster parents; and
- Juvenile detention and staff secure detention centers.
The OIG also investigates incidents resulting in death or serious injury that occur in foster homes, private agencies, child care facilities, or other programs under contract with the Department of Health and Human Services, as well as cases involving an investigation under the Child Protection Act open for no more than one year. The OIG identifies systemic issues and makes recommendations for improvement.
Contact Information:Office of the Inspector General of Nebraska Child Welfare
Centre Terrace Bldg
1225 L Street, Ste #300
Lincoln, NE Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 94604
Lincoln, NE 68509-4604
- Lincoln - 402-471-4211
- Toll Free - 855-460-6784
- Nebraska Relay System (TTY): (800) 833-7352
- Fax - 402-471-4277