Nebraska Revised Statute 8-318
Stock; share account; deposits; withdrawal methods authorized; investments by fiduciaries; rights; retirement plan, investments; building and loan association as trustee or custodian; powers and duties.
(1)(a) Shares of stock in any association, or in any federal savings and loan association incorporated under the provisions of the federal Home Owners' Loan Act, with its principal office and place of business in this state, may be subscribed for, held, transferred, surrendered, withdrawn, and forfeited and payments thereon received and receipted for by any person, regardless of age, in the same manner and with the same binding effect as though such person were of the age of majority, except that a minor or his or her estate shall not be bound on his or her subscription to stock except to the extent of payments actually made thereon.
(b) Whenever a share account is accepted by any building and loan association in the name of any person, regardless of age, the deposit may be withdrawn by the shareholder by any of the following methods:
(i) Check or other instrument in writing. The check or other instrument in writing constitutes a receipt or acquittance if the check or other instrument in writing is signed by the shareholder and constitutes a valid release in discharge to the building and loan association for all payments so made; or
(ii) Electronic means through:
(A) Preauthorized direct withdrawal;
(B) An automatic teller machine;
(C) A debit card;
(D) A transfer by telephone;
(E) A network, including the Internet; or
(F) Any electronic terminal, computer, magnetic tape, or other electronic means.
(c) This section shall not be construed to affect the rights, liabilities, or responsibilities of participants in an electronic fund transfer under the federal Electronic Fund Transfer Act, 15 U.S.C. 1693 et seq., as it existed on January 1, 2022, and shall not affect the legal relationships between a minor and any person other than the building and loan association.
(2) All trustees, guardians, personal representatives, administrators, and conservators appointed by the courts of this state may invest and reinvest in, acquire, make withdrawals in whole or in part, hold, transfer, or make new or additional investments in or transfers of shares of stock in any (a) building and loan association organized under the laws of the State of Nebraska or (b) federal savings and loan association incorporated under the provisions of the federal Home Owners' Loan Act, having its principal office and place of business in this state, without an order of approval from any court.
(3) Trustees created solely by the terms of a trust instrument may invest in, acquire, hold, and transfer such shares, and make withdrawals, in whole or in part, therefrom, without any order of court, unless expressly limited, restricted, or prohibited therefrom by the terms of such trust instrument.
(4) All building and loan associations referred to in this section are qualified to act as trustee or custodian within the provisions of the federal Self-Employed Individuals Tax Retirement Act of 1962, as amended, or under the terms and provisions of section 408(a) of the Internal Revenue Code, if the provisions of such retirement plan require the funds of such trust or custodianship to be invested exclusively in shares or accounts in the association or in other associations. If any such retirement plan, within the judgment of the association, constitutes a qualified plan under the federal Self-Employed Individuals Tax Retirement Act of 1962, or under the terms and provisions of section 408(a) of the Internal Revenue Code, and the regulations promulgated thereunder at the time the trust was established and accepted by the association, is subsequently determined not to be such a qualified plan or subsequently ceases to be such a qualified plan, in whole or in part, the association may continue to act as trustee of any deposits theretofore made under such plan and to dispose of the same in accordance with the directions of the member and beneficiaries thereof. No association, in respect to savings made under this section, shall be required to segregate such savings from other assets of the association. The association shall keep appropriate records showing in proper detail all transactions engaged in under the authority of this section.
- Laws 1899, c. 17, § 7, p. 88;
- R.S.1913, § 492;
- Laws 1919, c. 190, tit. V, art. XIX, § 8, p. 726;
- C.S.1922, § 8090;
- C.S.1929, § 8-308;
- Laws 1939, c. 4, § 1, p. 62;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 8-308;
- R.S.1943, § 8-318;
- Laws 1953, c. 11, § 1, p. 76;
- Laws 1955, c. 11, § 1, p. 77;
- Laws 1971, LB 375, § 1;
- Laws 1975, LB 208, § 2;
- Laws 1986, LB 909, § 8;
- Laws 1995, LB 574, § 3;
- Laws 2005, LB 533, § 16;
- Laws 2016, LB760, § 3;
- Laws 2017, LB140, § 133;
- Laws 2018, LB812, § 7;
- Laws 2019, LB258, § 9;
- Laws 2020, LB909, § 10;
- Laws 2021, LB363, § 10;
- Laws 2022, LB707, § 18.
- Operative Date: April 19, 2022