Nebraska Revised Statute 9-1103
For purposes of the Nebraska Racetrack Gaming Act:
(1) Authorized gaming operator means a person or entity licensed pursuant to the act to operate games of chance within a licensed racetrack enclosure;
(2) Authorized gaming operator license means a license to operate games of chance as an authorized gaming operator at a licensed racetrack enclosure;
(3)(a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b) of this subdivision, authorized sporting event means a professional sporting event, a collegiate sporting event, an international sporting event, a professional motor race event, a professional sports draft, an individual sports award, an electronic sport, or a simulated game; and
(b) Authorized sporting event does not include an instate collegiate sporting event in which an instate collegiate or university team is a participant, a parimutuel wager, a fantasy sports contest, a minor league sporting event, a sporting event at the high school level or below regardless of the age of any individual participant, or any sporting event excluded by the commission;
(4) Collegiate sporting event means an athletic event or competition of an intercollegiate sport played at the collegiate level for which eligibility requirements for participation by a student athlete are established by a national association for the promotion or regulation of collegiate athletics;
(5) Commission means the State Racing and Gaming Commission;
(6) Designated sports wagering area means an area, as approved by the commission, in which sports wagering is conducted;
(7) Game of chance means any game which has the elements of chance, prize, and consideration, including any wager on a slot machine, table game, counter game, or card game, a keno lottery conducted in accordance with the Nebraska County and City Lottery Act, or sports wagering. Game of chance does not include any game the operation of which is prohibited at a casino by federal law;
(8) Gaming device means an electronic, mechanical, or other device which plays a game of chance when activated by a player using currency, a token, or other item of value;
(9) International sporting event means an international team or individual sporting event governed by an international sports federation or sports governing body, including sporting events governed by the International Olympic Committee and the International Federation of Association Football;
(10) Licensed racetrack enclosure means premises at which licensed live horseracing is conducted in accordance with the Constitution of Nebraska and applicable Nebraska law;
(11) Limited gaming device means an electronic gaming device which (a) offers games of chance, (b) does not dispense currency, tokens, or other items of value, and (c) does not have a cash winnings hopper, mechanical or simulated spinning reel, or side handle;
(12) Prohibited participant means any individual whose participation may undermine the integrity of the wagering or the sporting event or any person who is prohibited from sports wagering for other good cause shown as determined by the commission, including, but not limited to: (a) Any individual placing a wager as an agent or proxy; (b) any person who is an athlete, a coach, a referee, or a player in any sporting event overseen by the sports governing body of such person based on publicly available information; (c) a person who holds a paid position of authority or influence sufficient to exert influence over the participants in a sporting event, including, but not limited to, any coach, manager, handler, or athletic trainer, or a person with access to certain types of exclusive information, on any sporting event overseen by the sports governing body of such person based on publicly available information; or (d) a person identified as prohibited from sports wagering by any list provided by a sports governing body to the commission;
(13) Racing license means a license issued for a licensed racetrack enclosure by the commission; and
(14) Sports wagering means the acceptance of wagers on an authorized sporting event by any system of wagering as authorized by the commission. Sports wagering does not include (a) placing a wager on the performance or nonperformance of any individual athlete participating in a single game or match of a collegiate sporting event in which a collegiate team from this state is participating, (b) placing an in-game wager on any game or match of a collegiate sporting event in which a collegiate team from this state is participating, (c) placing a wager on the performance or nonperformance of any individual athlete under eighteen years of age participating in a professional or international sporting event, or (d) placing a wager on the performance of athletes in an individual sporting event excluded by the commission.
- Initiative Law 2020, No. 430, § 3;
- Laws 2021, LB561, § 28.
- Nebraska County and City Lottery Act, see section 9-601.