Nebraska Revised Statute 84-502
Chapter 84 Section 502
Secretary of State; duties.
It shall be the duty of the Secretary of State:
(1) To countersign and affix the seal of the state to all commissions required by law to be issued by the Governor;
(2) To keep a register of all such commissions specifying the person to whom granted, the office conferred, the date of signing the commission, and, when bond or an equivalent commercial insurance policy is taken, the date and amount thereof and the names of the sureties;
(3) To make and keep proper indexes to the records and all public acts, resolutions, papers, and documents in his or her office;
(4) To give any person requiring the same, and paying the lawful fees therefor, a copy of any law, act, resolution, record, or paper in his or her office, and attach thereto his or her certificate under the seal of the state;
(5) To distribute the laws and journals as authorized by section 49-501 and keep an account thereof; and
(6)(a) To act as the chief protocol officer of the State of Nebraska;
(b) In coordination with the Governor, the Department of Economic Development, the Department of Agriculture, and other interested federal, state, and local officials, to actively seek appropriate contacts with other officials in nations with which the state has or desires to have active trade, cultural, or educational relations; and
(c) To help facilitate the interchange of ideas and contacts for betterment of commerce, cultural exchange, or educational studies between such nations and the state.