Nebraska Revised Statute 84-1001
Chapter 84 Section 1001
Basic workweek; state officers; departments; hours required; exceptions; holidays; payment; rules and regulations.
(1) All state officers and heads of departments and their deputies, assistants, and employees, except permanent part-time employees, temporary employees, and members of any board or commission not required to render full-time service, shall render not less than forty hours of labor each week except any week in which a paid holiday may occur.
(2) Regular work by such employees shall not be performed on paid holidays, Saturdays, or Sundays except in case of an emergency or when otherwise ordered or deemed essential by the Governor.
(3) For purposes of this section, paid holidays shall include all of the days enumerated in section 25-2221 and all days declared by law or proclamation of the President or Governor to be holidays.
(4) All such holidays shall be paid holidays except as provided in subsection (5) of this section. For purposes of this section, employees shall include permanent and temporary employees. A permanent employee shall mean an employee in a regular full-time or part-time position who works a full-time or part-time schedule on an ongoing basis, and a temporary employee shall mean an employee appointed to a full-time or part-time position for a limited period of time to accomplish a specific task. If any such holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday shall be a holiday. If any such holiday falls on Saturday, the preceding Friday shall be a holiday.
(5) Employees who are required to work on any holiday shall be granted either a workday of compensatory time off or be paid for the time worked in accordance with existing state and federal statutes, except that temporary employees shall not be eligible for paid holidays and if required to work on a holiday shall be paid for the time worked at their normal rate of pay. Permanent part-time employees shall be eligible for paid holidays on a pro rata basis. In order to receive pay for such holiday an employee, whether part time or full time, must not have been absent without pay on the workday immediately preceding or immediately following the holiday unless excused by his or her supervisor. The Director of Personnel shall adopt and promulgate such rules and regulations as are necessary to administer this section.
- Laws 1957, c. 398, § 1, p. 1364;
- Laws 1969, c. 839, § 1, p. 3164;
- Laws 1974, LB 1001, § 1;
- Laws 1992, Third Spec. Sess., LB 14, § 30.