Nebraska Revised Statute 83-907
Correctional system overcrowding emergency; Department of Correctional Services and Board of Parole; plan; contents; report.
To ensure public safety in the event a correctional system overcrowding emergency is ever declared or determined to exist, the Department of Correctional Services and the Board of Parole shall submit to the Legislature a proposed plan which describes the process of implementing the accelerated parole review process required by section 83-962. The plan shall include, but not be limited to:
(1) The process by which the Director of Correctional Services shall certify that an overcrowding emergency exists;
(2) The process by which the department shall prepare and submit to the board a listing of parole-eligible committed offenders to be considered or reconsidered accelerated for parole;
(3) Any statutory changes required or funding necessary to accommodate such process;
(4) The process by which the board shall examine committed offenders during the accelerated parole review;
(5) A review of the analysis for granting parole pursuant to section 83-1,114 and whether this process and the factors set out in such section are sufficient or adequate for the accelerated parole review process required by section 83-962;
(6) A review of the process of supervising parolees released pursuant to the accelerated review process and the necessary means to ensure public safety; and
(7) Any statutory changes required or resources necessary to accommodate the existence of an overcrowding emergency status and to facilitate the potential requisite gubernatorial declaration of such emergency.
The plan shall be submitted electronically in a report to the Legislature on or before December 1, 2018.