Nebraska Revised Statute 81-885.21
Chapter 81 Section 885.21
Broker; separate trust account; notify commission where maintained; examination by representative of commission; exemption.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (7) of this section, each broker other than an inactive broker shall maintain in a bank, savings bank, building and loan association, or savings and loan association a separate, insured checking account in this state in his or her name or the name under which he or she does business which shall be designated a trust account in which all downpayments, earnest money deposits, or other trust funds received by him or her, his or her associate brokers, or his or her salespersons on behalf of his or her principal or any other person shall be deposited and remain until the transaction is closed or otherwise terminated unless all parties having an interest in the funds have agreed otherwise in writing. Such trust account may be either an interest-bearing or a non-interest-bearing account. Any broker using an interest-bearing account shall comply with subsection (6) of this section.
(2) Each broker shall notify the commission of the name of the bank, savings bank, building and loan association, or savings and loan association in which the trust account is maintained and also the name of the account on forms provided therefor.
(3) Each broker shall authorize the commission to examine such trust account by a duly authorized representative of the commission. Such examination shall be made annually or at such time as the commission may direct.
(4) A broker may maintain more than one trust account in his or her name or the name under which he or she does business if the commission is advised of such account as required in subsection (2) of this section.
(5) In the event a branch office maintains a separate trust account, a separate bookkeeping system shall be maintained in the branch office.
(6) If the trust account is an interest-bearing account, as authorized under subsection (1) of this section, the interest from the interest-bearing account may be distributed or otherwise accrue only to nonprofit organizations that promote housing in Nebraska and that are exempt from the payment of federal income taxes. A broker may use an interest-bearing account for a transaction only if the use of such account for purposes of promoting housing in Nebraska has been approved by all parties whose money will be deposited into such account. The commission may further define policies and procedures for the processing of and distributions from interest-bearing trust accounts by rule and regulation.
(7) The commission may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations to exempt active brokers who have no trust account activity and no anticipated trust account activity from the trust account requirements of this section.