Nebraska Revised Statute 81-1387

Chapter 81 Section 1387


Prohibited practices; proceedings; appeal; grounds.

(1) Proceedings against a party alleging a violation of section 81-1386 shall be commenced by filing a complaint with the commission within one hundred eighty days of the alleged violation thereby causing a copy of the complaint to be served upon the accused party. The accused party shall have ten days within which to file a written answer to the complaint. If the commission determines that the complaint has no basis in fact, the commission may dismiss the complaint. If the complaint has a basis in fact, the commission shall set a time for hearing. The parties shall be permitted to be represented by counsel, summon witnesses, and request the commission to subpoena witnesses on the requester's behalf.

(2) The commission shall file its findings of fact and conclusions of law. If the commission finds that the party accused has committed a prohibited practice, the commission, within thirty days of its decision, shall order an appropriate remedy. Any party may petition the district court for injunctive relief pursuant to rules of civil procedure.

(3) Any party aggrieved by any decision or order of the commission may, within thirty days from the date such decision or order is filed, appeal therefrom to the Supreme Court.

(4) Any order or decision of the commission may be modified, reversed, or set aside by the appellate court on one or more of the following grounds and on no other:

(a) If the commission acts without or in excess of its powers;

(b) If the order was procured by fraud or is contrary to law;

(c) If the facts found by the commission do not support the order; and

(d) If the order is not supported by a preponderance of the competent evidence on the record considered as a whole.



  • The Commission of Industrial Relations, as an administrative body, has only that authority specifically conferred upon it by statute or by construction necessary to achieve the purpose of the relevant act. Jolly v. State, 252 Neb. 289, 562 N.W.2d 61 (1997).

  • Under the Industrial Relations Act, section 48-801 et seq., and the State Employees Collective Bargaining Act, section 81-1369 et seq., the Commission of Industrial Relations does not have the statutory authority to entertain or grant motions for summary judgment. Jolly v. State, 252 Neb. 289, 562 N.W.2d 61 (1997).