Nebraska Revised Statute 8-103
Director; financial institutions; supervision and examination; director and certain department employees; prohibited borrowing; exception; penalty.
(1)(a) The director shall have charge of and full supervision over the examination of banks and the enforcement of compliance with the statutes by banks and their holding companies in their business and functions and shall constructively aid and assist banks in maintaining proper banking standards and efficiency.
(b) The director shall also have charge of and full supervision over the examination of and the enforcement of compliance with the statutes by trust companies, building and loan associations, savings and loan associations, and credit unions in their business and functions and shall constructively aid and assist trust companies, building and loan associations, savings and loan associations, and credit unions in maintaining proper standards and efficiency.
(2) If the director is financially interested directly or indirectly in any financial institution chartered by the department, the financial institution shall be under the direct supervision of the Governor, and as to such financial institution, the Governor shall exercise all the supervisory powers otherwise vested in the director by the laws of this state, and reports of examination by state bank examiners, foreign state bank examiners, examiners of the Federal Reserve Board, examiners of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, examiners of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and examiners of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau shall be transmitted to the Governor.
(3)(a) Neither the director nor any person employed by the department as a deputy director, a counsel, an attorney, or a financial institution examiner shall borrow money from any financial institution chartered by the department, except that such person may borrow money in the normal course of business from the Nebraska State Employees Credit Union. If the credit union is acquired by, or merged into, a Nebraska state-chartered credit union, persons employed by the department may borrow money in the normal course of business from the successor credit union.
(b) In the event a loan to a person employed by the department as a deputy director, a counsel, an attorney, or a financial institution examiner is sold or otherwise transferred to a financial institution chartered by the department, no violation of this section occurs if (i) such person did not solicit the sale or transfer of the loan and (ii) such person gives notice to the director of such sale or transfer. The director, in his or her discretion, may require such person to make all reasonable efforts to seek another lender.
(4) Any person who intentionally violates this section or who aids, abets, or assists in a violation of this section is guilty of a Class IV felony.
- Laws 1933, c. 18, § 2, p. 135;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 8-1,123;
- R.S.1943, § 8-102;
- Laws 1963, c. 29, § 3, p. 135;
- Laws 1967, c. 20, § 1, p. 122;
- Laws 1985, LB 653, § 1;
- Laws 1988, LB 375, § 2;
- Laws 1996, LB 1053, § 1;
- Laws 2002, LB 1094, § 2;
- Laws 2003, LB 131, § 3;
- Laws 2013, LB213, § 1;
- Laws 2017, LB140, § 4;
- Laws 2020, LB909, § 1.