Nebraska Revised Statute 79-986
Employees retirement system; State Treasurer as treasurer; when; school district; duties.
(1) The State Treasurer shall (a) act as treasurer of the retirement system and the official custodian of the cash and securities belonging to such retirement system, (b) provide adequate safe deposit facilities for the preservation of such securities, and (c) hold such cash and securities subject to the order of the council.
(2) The school district and the Nebraska Public Employees Retirement Systems, as applicable, shall receive all items of taxes or cash belonging to the retirement system as specified in the Class V School Employees Retirement Act and shall deposit in banks approved by the State Treasurer all such amounts in trust or custodial accounts. Notwithstanding any limitations elsewhere imposed by statute on the location of the retirement system's depository bank, such limitations shall not apply to the use of depository banks for the custody of the system's cash, securities, and other investments.
(3) The State Treasurer as treasurer of the retirement system shall make payments to the school district upon request of the administrator of a retirement system provided for under the Class V School Employees Retirement Act and as directed by the Nebraska Public Employees Retirement Systems. The school district shall use payments received from the State Treasurer to make payments for purposes specified in the Class V School Employees Retirement Act.
(4) Beginning September 1, 2024, the State Treasurer as treasurer of the retirement system shall disburse money from funds in his or her custody belonging to the retirement system for the purposes specified in the Class V School Employees Retirement Act. The State Treasurer, along with the Director of Administrative Services, shall make such disbursements upon vouchers signed by a person authorized by the retirement board.
(5) All banks and custodians which receive and hold securities and investments for the retirement system may hold and evidence such securities by book entry account rather than obtaining and retaining the original certificate, indenture, or governing instrument for such security.
- Laws 1951, c. 274, § 9, p. 915;
- Laws 1988, LB 1142, § 11;
- Laws 1995, LB 505, § 3;
- Laws 1996, LB 604, § 11;
- R.S.Supp.,1995, § 79-1040;
- Laws 1996, LB 900, § 621;
- Laws 1997, LB 623, § 30;
- Laws 1998, LB 497, § 12;
- Laws 2006, LB 1024, § 66;
- Laws 2016, LB447, § 25;
- Laws 2021, LB147, § 20.