Nebraska Revised Statute 79-910
Retirement system; membership; separate employment; effect.
(1) The membership of the retirement system shall be composed of (a) all persons who have an account in the School Retirement Fund, (b) all school employees who on or after July 1, 2002, must participate in the retirement system pursuant to section 79-910.01 and who have begun participation in the retirement system, and (c) emeritus members. The membership of the retirement system does not include persons described in sections 79-915 and 79-919 who are specifically excluded from membership in the retirement system.
(2) The membership of the retirement system also includes any person who prior to July 1, 2002, qualified for membership as follows: (a) All persons who become school employees after September 1, 1945, except those specifically excluded under sections 79-916 and 79-919, shall become members as soon as they become senior school employees, as senior school employee was defined in section 79-902 prior to July 1, 2002; (b) senior school employees on July 1, 1945, except those specifically excluded in sections 79-916 and 79-919, shall be members of the retirement system as of July 1, 1945, unless prior to October 1, 1945, any such employee shall have filed with the retirement board and with his or her employer a notice of his or her election not to be included in the membership of the system and a duly executed waiver of all the present and prospective benefits which would otherwise inure to him or her on account of his or her membership in the retirement system; and (c) emeritus members.
(3) Any school employee who qualifies for membership in the retirement system pursuant to subsection (1) or (2) of this section may not be disqualified from membership in the retirement system solely because such employee also maintains separate employment which qualifies the employee for membership in another public retirement system, nor may membership in this retirement system disqualify such an employee from membership in another public retirement system solely by reason of separate employment which qualifies such employee for membership in this retirement system.
- Laws 1945, c. 219, § 9, p. 642;
- R.S.Supp.,1947, § 79-2909;
- Laws 1949, c. 256, § 443, p. 844;
- Laws 1951, c. 291, § 1, p. 964;
- Laws 1953, c. 315, § 2, p. 1045;
- Laws 1976, LB 30, § 1;
- Laws 1976, LB 673, § 2;
- Laws 1977, LB 349, § 1;
- Laws 1979, LB 391, § 5;
- Laws 1987, LB 549, § 2;
- R.S.1943, (1994), § 79-1509;
- Laws 1996, LB 900, § 545;
- Laws 1997, LB 624, § 17;
- Laws 2002, LB 407, § 23.