Nebraska Revised Statute 71-4903
Chapter 71 Section 4903
Department of Health and Human Services; duties.
The Department of Health and Human Services shall:
(1) Develop standards for determining eligibility for care and treatment under this program and establish standards and qualifications of those patients unable to pay for treatment of chronic renal disease on a continuing basis. Such standards shall require that an individual:
(a) Shall be a bona fide resident of the State of Nebraska;
(b) Shall not be able to pay the total cost of such needed care and treatment without depriving himself or herself or those legally dependent upon him or her for their necessities of life;
(d) Shall not have relatives legally responsible to provide such care and treatment who refuse or neglect to provide such care and treatment in whole or in part without good cause; and
(e) Shall be a proper candidate for such care and treatment, including willingness of that person to receive such care and treatment;
(2) Assist in the development and expansion of programs for the care and treatment of persons suffering from chronic renal diseases, including dialysis, transplant, and other medical procedures and techniques which will have a life-saving effect in the care and treatment of persons suffering from these diseases;
(3) Assist in the development of programs for the prevention of chronic renal diseases;
(4) Extend financial assistance to persons suffering from chronic renal diseases in obtaining the medical, nursing, pharmaceutical, and technical services necessary in caring for such diseases, including the renting of home dialysis equipment, and extend financial assistance to donors to persons suffering from chronic renal diseases in obtaining the medical, nursing, pharmaceutical, and technical services necessary in caring for such donors;
(5) Assist in equipping dialysis centers and the planning of such on the basis of consultation with the comprehensive health planning office; and
(6) Institute and carry on an educational program among physicians, hospitals, public health departments, and the public concerning chronic renal diseases, including the dissemination of information and the conducting of educational programs concerning the prevention of chronic renal diseases and the methods for the care and treatment of persons suffering from these diseases.
- Laws 1972, LB 1270, § 3;
- Laws 1996, LB 1044, § 688;
- Laws 2002, LB 93, § 17.