Nebraska Revised Statute 71-208.02
Chapter 71 Section 208.02
School of barbering; registered instructors and assistants; qualifications.
(1) All instruction in barber schools shall be conducted by registered barber instructors or registered assistant barber instructors.
(2) A person shall be eligible for registration as a barber instructor if:
(a) He or she has completed at least eighteen hours of college credit at or above the postsecondary level, including at least three credit hours each in (i) methods of teaching, (ii) curriculum development, (iii) special vocational needs, (iv) educational psychology, (v) speech communications, and (vi) introduction to business;
(b) He or she has been a licensed and actively practicing barber for the one year immediately preceding application, except that for good cause the board may waive the requirement that the applicant be an actively practicing barber for one year or that such year immediately precede application;
(c) He or she has served as a registered assistant barber instructor under the supervision of an active, full-time, registered barber instructor, as provided in subsection (5) of this section, for one year immediately preceding application for registration, except that for good cause the board may waive the requirement that such year immediately precede application;
(d) He or she has passed an examination prescribed by the board; and
(e) He or she has paid the fees prescribed by section 71-219.
(3) One registered barber instructor or assistant barber instructor shall be employed for each fifteen students, or fraction thereof, enrolled in a barber school, except that each barber school shall have not less than two instructors, one of whom shall be a registered barber instructor, regardless of the number of students. Additional assistant barber instructors shall be permitted on a working ratio of two assistant barber instructors for every registered barber instructor. A barber school operated by a nonprofit organization which neither charges any tuition to its students nor makes any charge to the persons upon whom work is performed shall not be required to have more than one instructor, regardless of the number of students, which instructor shall be a registered barber instructor.
(4) No student at a barber school shall be permitted to do any practical work upon any person unless a registered barber instructor or registered assistant barber instructor is on the premises and supervising the practical work being performed.
(5)(a) A person shall be eligible for registration as an assistant barber instructor if he or she has paid the fee prescribed by section 71-219, has been a licensed and actively practicing barber for one year, and is currently enrolled or will enroll at the first regular college enrollment date after registration under this section in an educational program leading to completion of the hours required under subsection (2) of this section.
(b) A person registered pursuant to subdivision (a) of this subsection shall serve as an assistant barber instructor under direct supervision, except that he or she may serve as an assistant barber instructor under indirect supervision if:
(i) He or she has completed nine college credit hours, including three credit hours each in methods of teaching, curriculum development, and special vocational needs; and
(ii) He or she has completed one year of instructor training under the direct inhouse supervision of an active, full-time, registered barber instructor or in lieu thereof has completed the requirements of a barber instructor course developed or approved by the board. The board may develop such courses or approve courses developed by educational institutions or other entities which meet requirements established by the board in rules and regulations.
(c) A report of college credits earned pursuant to subsection (2) of this section shall be submitted to the board at the end of each academic year. Registration as an assistant barber instructor shall be renewed in each even-numbered year and shall be valid for three years from the date of registration if the registrant pursues without interruption the educational program described in subsection (2) of this section. A registrant who fails to so maintain such program shall have his or her registration revoked. Any such registration that has been revoked shall be reinstated if all renewal fees have been paid and other registration requirements of this subsection are met.
(6) A person who is a registered barber instructor before September 9, 1993, may continue to practice as a registered barber instructor on and after such date without meeting the changes in the registration requirements of this section imposed by Laws 1993, LB 226. A person who is a registered assistant barber instructor before September 9, 1993, and who seeks to register as a barber instructor on or after September 9, 1993, may meet the requirements for registration as a barber instructor either as such requirements existed before such date or as such requirements exist on or after such date.
- Laws 1963, c. 409, § 11, p. 1320;
- Laws 1965, c. 417, § 4, p. 1330;
- Laws 1971, LB 22, § 1;
- Laws 1971, LB 1020, § 11;
- Laws 1983, LB 87, § 17;
- Laws 1993, LB 226, § 4;
- Laws 2009, LB195, § 54.