Nebraska Revised Statute 71-1904
Chapter 71 Section 1904
Rules and regulations; waiver of licensing standard; when.
(1) The department shall adopt and promulgate rules and regulations pursuant to sections 71-1901 to 71-1906.01 for (a) the proper care and protection of children by licensees under such sections, (b) the issuance, suspension, and revocation of licenses to provide foster care, (c) the issuance, suspension, and revocation of probationary licenses to provide foster care, (d) the issuance, suspension, and revocation of provisional licenses to provide foster care, (e) the provision of training in foster care, which training shall be directly related to the skills necessary to care for children in need of out-of-home care, including, but not limited to, abused, neglected, dependent, and delinquent children, and (f) the proper administration of sections 71-1901 to 71-1906.01.
(2) The department may issue a waiver for any licensing standard not related to children's safety for a relative home that is pursuing licensure. Such waivers shall be granted on a case-by-case basis upon assessment by the department based upon the best interests of the child. A relative home that receives a waiver pursuant to this subsection shall be considered fully licensed for purposes of federal reimbursement under the federal Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008, Public Law 110-351.
(3) The department shall adopt and promulgate rules and regulations establishing new foster home licensing requirements that ensure children's safety, health, and well-being but minimize the use of licensing mandates for nonsafety issues. Such rules and regulations shall provide alternatives to address nonsafety issues regarding housing and provide assistance to families in overcoming licensing barriers, especially in child-specific relative and kinship placements, to maximize appropriate reimbursement under Title IV-E of the federal Social Security Act, as amended, including expanding the use of kinship guardianship assistance payments under 42 U.S.C. 673(d), as such act and section existed on January 1, 2013.
- Laws 1943, c. 154, § 4, p. 564;
- R.S.1943, § 71-1904;
- Laws 1945, c. 171, § 4, p. 550;
- Laws 1961, c. 415, § 28, p. 1259;
- Laws 1990, LB 1222, § 13;
- Laws 1995, LB 401, § 27;
- Laws 1995, LB 402, § 2;
- Laws 1995, LB 451, § 4;
- Laws 2001, LB 209, § 22;
- Laws 2002, LB 93, § 10;
- Laws 2003, LB 54, § 1;
- Laws 2012, LB782, § 114;
- Laws 2012, LB1160, § 17;
- Laws 2013, LB222, § 26;
- Laws 2013, LB265, § 43;
- Laws 2013, LB269, § 9;
- Laws 2017, LB417, § 12.
- Effective Date: August 24, 2017