Nebraska Revised Statute 71-1559
Chapter 71 Section 1559
Modular housing unit; compliance assurance program; exception; purpose; inspection; seal; when issued; fee; Public Service Commission Housing and Recreational Vehicle Cash Fund.
(1) Every modular housing unit, except those constructed or manufactured by any school district or community college area as a part of a buildings trade or other instructional program offered by such district or area, manufactured, sold, offered for sale, or leased in this state more than six months after July 10, 1976, and before May 1, 1998, shall comply with the seal requirements of the state agency responsible for regulation of modular housing units as such requirements existed on the date of manufacture.
(2) Every modular housing unit, except those constructed or manufactured by any school district or community college area as part of a buildings trade or other instructional program offered by such district or area, manufactured, sold, offered for sale, or leased in this state on or after May 1, 1998, shall bear a seal issued by the commission certifying that the construction and the structural, plumbing, heating, and electrical systems of such modular housing unit have been installed in compliance with its standards applicable at the time of manufacture. Each manufacturer of such modular housing units, except those constructed or manufactured by such school district or community college area, shall submit its plans to the commission for the purposes of inspection. The commission shall establish a compliance assurance program consisting of an application form and a compliance assurance manual. Such manual shall identify and list all procedures which the manufacturer and the inspection agency propose to implement to assure that the finished modular housing unit conforms to the approved building system and the applicable codes adopted by the commission. The compliance assurance program requirements shall apply to all inspection agencies, whether commission or authorized third party, and shall define duties and responsibilities in the process of inspecting, monitoring, and issuing seals for modular housing units. The commission shall issue the seal only after ascertaining that the manufacturer is in full compliance with the compliance assurance program through inspections at the plant by the commission or authorized third-party inspection agency. Such inspections shall be of an unannounced frequency such that the required level of code compliance performance is implemented and maintained throughout all areas of plant and site operations that affect regulatory aspects of the construction. Each seal issued by the state shall remain the property of the commission and may be revoked by the commission in the event of violation of the conditions of issuance.
(3) Modular housing units constructed or manufactured by any school district or community college area as a part of a buildings trade or other instructional program offered by such district or area shall be inspected by the local inspection authority or, upon request of the district or area, by the commission. If the commission inspects a unit and finds that it is in compliance, the commission shall issue a seal certifying that the construction and the structural, plumbing, heating, and electrical systems of such unit have been installed in compliance with the standards applicable at the time of manufacture.
(4) The commission shall charge a seal fee of not less than one hundred and not more than one thousand dollars per modular housing unit, as determined annually by the commission after published notice and a hearing, for seals issued by the commission under subsection (2) or (3) of this section.
(5) Inspection fees shall be paid for all inspections by the commission of manufacturing plants located outside of the State of Nebraska. Such fees shall consist of a reimbursement by the manufacturer of actual travel and inspection expenses only and shall be paid prior to any issuance of seals.
(6) All fees collected under the Nebraska Uniform Standards for Modular Housing Units Act shall be remitted to the State Treasurer for credit to the Public Service Commission Housing and Recreational Vehicle Cash Fund.
- Laws 1976, LB 248, § 5;
- Laws 1978, LB 812, § 1;
- Laws 1981, LB 218, § 1;
- Laws 1983, LB 617, § 20;
- Laws 1984, LB 822, § 5;
- Laws 1991, LB 703, § 34;
- Laws 1992, LB 1019, § 66;
- Laws 1996, LB 1044, § 565;
- Laws 1998, LB 1073, § 93;
- Laws 2001, LB 247, § 1;
- Laws 2003, LB 241, § 1;
- Laws 2008, LB797, § 8;
- Laws 2010, LB849, § 24.