Nebraska Revised Statute 66-6,113
Compressed fuel tax; collection; commission.
(1) In lieu of the expense of remitting the compressed fuel tax and complying with the statutes and rules and regulations related thereto, every retailer shall be entitled to deduct and withhold a commission of two percent upon the first five thousand dollars and one-half of one percent upon all amounts in excess of five thousand dollars remitted each tax period.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in the Compressed Fuel Tax Act, the per-gallon amount of the tax shall be added to the selling price of every gallon of such compressed fuel sold in this state and shall be collected from the purchaser so that the ultimate consumer bears the burden of the tax. The tax shall be a direct tax on the retail or ultimate consumer precollected for the purpose of convenience and facility to the consumer. The levy and assessment on the retailer as specified in the act shall be as an agent of the state for the precollection of the tax. The provisions of this section shall in no way affect the method of collecting the tax as provided in the act. The tax imposed by this section shall be collected and paid at the time, in the manner, and by those persons specified in the act.
(3) In consideration of receiving the commission provided under subsection (1) of this section, the retailer shall not be entitled to any deductions, credits, or refunds arising out of such retailer's failure or inability to collect any such taxes from any subsequent purchaser of compressed fuel.
(4) A retailer shall not be entitled to a commission provided under subsection (1) of this section for the amount of any understatement or refund of any such taxes collected as a result of a final assessment occurring pursuant to a notice of deficiency determination under section 66-722.
- Laws 1995, LB 182, § 17;
- Laws 1998, LB 1161, § 22;
- Laws 2012, LB727, § 21.