Nebraska Revised Statute 66-2001
Natural Gas Fuel Board; established; members; terms; vacancy; meetings; duties; Department of Environment and Energy; administrative support.
(1) The Natural Gas Fuel Board is hereby established to advise the Department of Environment and Energy regarding the promotion of natural gas as a motor vehicle fuel in Nebraska. The board shall provide recommendations relating to:
(a) Distribution, infrastructure, and workforce development for natural gas to be used as a motor vehicle fuel;
(b) Loans, grants, and tax incentives to encourage the use of natural gas as a motor vehicle fuel for individuals and public and private fleets; and
(c) Such other matters as it deems appropriate.
(2) The board shall consist of eight members appointed by the Governor. The Governor shall make the initial appointments by October 1, 2012. The board shall include:
(a) One member representing a jurisdictional utility as defined in section 66-1802;
(b) One member representing a metropolitan utilities district;
(c) One member representing the interests of the transportation industry in the state;
(d) One member representing the interests of the business community in the state, specifically fueling station owners or operators;
(e) One member representing natural gas marketers or pipelines in the state;
(f) One member representing automobile dealerships or repair businesses in the state;
(g) One member representing labor interests in the state; and
(h) One member representing environmental interests in the state, specifically air quality.
(3) All appointments shall be subject to the approval of a majority of the members of the Legislature if the Legislature is in session, and if the Legislature is not in session, any appointment to fill a vacancy shall be temporary until the next session of the Legislature, at which time a majority of the members of the Legislature may approve or disapprove such appointment.
(4) Members shall be appointed for terms of four years, except that of the initial appointees the terms of the members representing a jurisdictional utility and a metropolitan utilities district shall expire on September 30, 2015, the terms of the members representing the transportation industry, the business community, natural gas marketers or pipelines, and automobile dealerships or repair businesses shall expire on September 30, 2014, and the terms of the members representing labor and environmental interests shall expire on September 30, 2013. Members may be reappointed. A member shall serve until a successor is appointed and qualified.
(5) A vacancy on the board shall exist in the event of death, disability, resignation, or removal for cause of a member. Any vacancy on the board arising other than from the expiration of a term shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired portion of the term. An appointment to fill a vacancy shall be made by the Governor with the approval of a majority of the Legislature, and any person so appointed shall have the same qualifications as the person whom he or she succeeds.
(6) The board shall meet at least once annually.
(7) The members shall not be reimbursed for expenses associated with carrying out their duties as members.
(8) The department shall provide administrative support to the board as necessary so that the board may carry out its duties.