Nebraska Revised Statute 57-718
Tax Commissioner; enforcement; powers and duties; records; requirements.
(1) The Tax Commissioner shall enforce Chapter 57, article 7, and may prescribe, adopt, and enforce rules and regulations relating to the administration and enforcement of such article. The Tax Commissioner may prescribe the extent to which any ruling or regulation shall be applied without retroactive effect.
(2) The Tax Commissioner may employ accountants, auditors, investigators, assistants, and clerks necessary for the efficient administration of Chapter 57, article 7, and may delegate authority to his or her representatives to conduct hearings, prescribe regulations, or perform any other duties imposed by such article.
(3) Every person subject to Chapter 57, article 7, shall keep such records, receipts, invoices, and other pertinent papers in such form as the Tax Commissioner may require. Every such person shall keep such records for not less than three years from the making of such records unless the Tax Commissioner in writing sooner authorized their destruction.
(4) The Tax Commissioner or any person authorized in writing by him or her may examine the books, papers, records, and equipment of any person liable for the severance tax and may investigate the character of the business of the person in order to verify the accuracy of any return made, or, if no return is made by the person, to ascertain and determine the amount required to be paid.
(5) The taxpayer shall have the right to keep or store his or her records at a point outside this state and shall make his or her records available to the Tax Commissioner at all times.