Nebraska Revised Statute 45-705
License or registration required; application; fees; background investigation; registered agent.
(1) No person shall act as a mortgage banker or use the title mortgage banker in this state unless he, she, or it is licensed as a mortgage banker, is registered with the department as provided in section 45-704, is licensed under the Nebraska Installment Loan Act, or is otherwise exempt from the act pursuant to section 45-703.
(2) Applicants for a license as a mortgage banker shall submit to the department an application on a form prescribed by the department. The application shall include, but not be limited to, (a) the applicant's corporate name and no more than one trade name or doing business as designation which the applicant intends to use in this state, if applicable, (b) the applicant's main office address, (c) all branch office addresses at which business is to be conducted, (d) the names and titles of each director and principal officer of the applicant, (e) the names of all shareholders, partners, or members of the applicant, (f) a description of the activities of the applicant in such detail as the department may require, (g) if the applicant is an individual, his or her social security number, and (h) fingerprints of any principal officer, director, partner, member, or sole proprietor for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and any other governmental agency or entity authorized to receive such information for a state, national, and international criminal history record information check.
(3) The application for a license as a mortgage banker shall include or be accompanied by, in a manner as prescribed by the director, (a) the name and street address in this state of a registered agent appointed by the licensee for receipt of service of process and (b) the written consent of the registered agent to the appointment. A post office box number may be provided in addition to the street address.
(4) The application for a license as a mortgage banker shall be accompanied by an application fee of four hundred dollars and, if applicable, a seventy-five-dollar fee for each branch office listed in the application and any processing fee allowed under subsection (2) of section 45-748.
(5) The application for a license as a mortgage banker shall include or be accompanied by, in a manner as prescribed by the director, a background investigation of each applicant by means of fingerprints and a check of his or her criminal history record information maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry. If the applicant is a partnership, association, corporation, or other form of business organization, the director shall require a criminal history record information check on each member, director, or principal officer of each applicant or any individual acting in the capacity of the manager of an office location. Fingerprints of any principal officer, director, partner, member, or sole proprietor shall be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and any other governmental agency or entity authorized to receive such information for a state, national, and international criminal history record information check. The applicant shall be responsible for the direct costs associated with criminal history record information checks performed. The information obtained thereby may be used by the director to determine the applicant's eligibility for licensing under this section. Except as authorized pursuant to subsection (2) of section 45-748, receipt of criminal history record information by a private person or entity is prohibited.
(6) In order to reduce the points of contact which the Federal Bureau of Investigation may have to maintain for purposes of subsection (5) of this section, the director may use the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry as a channeling agent for requesting information from and distributing information to the United States Department of Justice or any other governmental agency.
(7) A license as a mortgage banker granted under the Residential Mortgage Licensing Act shall not be assignable.
(8) An application is deemed filed when accepted as substantially complete by the director.
- Nebraska Installment Loan Act, see section 45-1001.