Nebraska Revised Statute 44-5508
Surplus lines licensee; requirements; duties of licensee; violations; penalty; nonadmitted insurer; requirements.
(1) A surplus lines licensee shall not place coverage with a nonadmitted insurer unless, at the time of placement, the surplus lines licensee has determined that the nonadmitted insurer is a domestic surplus lines insurer or meets the following criteria:
(a) Is authorized to write such insurance in its domiciliary jurisdiction;
(b) Has established satisfactory evidence of good repute and financial integrity; and
(c)(i) Possesses capital and surplus or its equivalent under the laws of its domiciliary jurisdiction that equals the greater of the minimum capital and surplus requirements under the laws of this state or fifteen million dollars; or
(ii) If minimum capital and surplus does not meet the requirements of subdivision (1)(c)(i) of this section, then upon an affirmative finding of acceptability by the director. The finding shall be based upon such factors as quality of management, capital and surplus of any parent company, company underwriting profit and investment income trends, market availability, and company record and reputation within the industry. The director shall not make an affirmative finding of acceptability if the nonadmitted insurer's capital and surplus is less than four million five hundred thousand dollars.
(2) No surplus lines licensee shall place nonadmitted insurance with or procure nonadmitted insurance from a nonadmitted insurer domiciled outside the United States unless the insurer is listed on the Quarterly Listing of Alien Insurers maintained by the International Insurers Department of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
(3) Any surplus lines licensee violating this section shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor.
(4)(a) No nonadmitted foreign or alien insurer shall accept business under the Surplus Lines Insurance Act if it does not comply with the surplus and capital requirements of subsection (1) of this section.
(b) In addition to the requirements of subdivision (a) of this subsection, no nonadmitted alien insurer shall accept business under the act if it does not comply with the requirements of subsection (2) of this section.
- Laws 1913, c. 154, § 26, p. 410;
- R.S.1913, § 3162;
- Laws 1919, c. 190, tit. V, art. III, § 19, p. 589;
- C.S.1922, § 7763;
- C.S.1929, § 44-219;
- R.S.1943, § 44-147;
- Laws 1951, c. 135, § 2, p. 558;
- Laws 1971, LB 757, § 1;
- Laws 1977, LB 40, § 230;
- Laws 1978, LB 836, § 6;
- Laws 1989, LB 92, § 33;
- R.S.Supp.,1990, § 44-147;
- Laws 1992, LB 1006, § 8;
- Laws 1994, LB 978, § 31;
- Laws 2005, LB 119, § 21;
- Laws 2011, LB70, § 6;
- Laws 2019, LB469, § 5.
The procuring of insurance with nonexistent and spurious fire insurance companies violated this section. Naeve v. Shea, 132 Neb. 787, 273 N.W. 265 (1937).