Nebraska Revised Statute 44-3607
Outline of coverage; informational brochure; disclosure requirements.
(1) In order to provide for full and fair disclosure in the sale of medicare supplement policies, no medicare supplement policy or certificate shall be delivered in this state unless an outline of coverage is delivered to the applicant at the time the application is made.
(2) The director shall prescribe the format and content of the outline of coverage required by subsection (1) of this section. As used in this section, format shall mean style, arrangement, and overall appearance, including, but not limited to, the size, color, and prominence of type and arrangement of text and captions. Such outline of coverage shall include:
(a) A description of the principal benefits and coverage provided in the policy;
(b) A statement of the renewal provisions, including any reservation by the issuer of a right to change premiums and disclosure of the existence of any automatic renewal premium increases based on the policyholder's age; and
(c) A statement that the outline of coverage is a summary of the policy issued or applied for and that the policy should be consulted to determine governing contractual provisions.
(3) The director may prescribe by rule and regulation a standard form and the contents of an informational brochure for persons eligible for medicare which is intended to improve the buyer's ability to select the most appropriate coverage and improve the buyer's understanding of medicare. Except in the case of direct-response insurance policies, the director may require by rule and regulation that the informational brochure be provided to any prospective insureds eligible for medicare concurrently with delivery of the outline of coverage. With respect to direct-response insurance policies, the director may require by rule and regulation that the prescribed brochure be provided upon request to any prospective insureds eligible for medicare but in no event later than the time of policy delivery.
(4) The director may adopt and promulgate rules and regulations for captions or notice requirements determined to be in the public interest and designed to inform prospective insureds that particular insurance coverages are not medicare supplement coverages for all sickness and accident insurance policies sold to persons eligible for medicare other than:
(a) Medicare supplement policies; or
(b) Disability income policies.
(5) The director may further adopt and promulgate rules and regulations to govern the full and fair disclosure of the information in connection with the replacement of sickness and accident policies, subscriber contracts, or certificates by persons eligible for medicare.
- Laws 1980, LB 877, § 7;
- Laws 1981, LB 329, § 7;
- Laws 1988, LB 998, § 8;
- Laws 1992, LB 1006, § 24;
- Laws 1996, LB 969, § 6.